VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?
Author Message
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Hi:

Does anybody if VW 2.0 will be available on NeXTStep for Intel ? or
are there any other st implementations available on NeXTStep for Intel ?

-- Niranjan

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 01:58:14 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?
: Hi:

: Does anybody if VW 2.0 will be available on NeXTStep for Intel ? or
: are there any other st implementations available on NeXTStep for Intel ?

We are already (trying) porting Smalltalk/X to NS for Intel. (there is already
a port for NS 68k since 1.5 years available)

In the first phase, it will be running under X11, based on Xlib, and I hope,
it will be ready up to end of this year.

Adapting of ST/X for OpenStep is planed, but when it runs, I hope in 1./2.Q./95.
(when there running, I think, the step to NS on PA-risc, or OpenStep on Solaris
should be not too big)

for more questions, please email me.
By

Richard

        Richard von Lavante             Tomcat computer GmbH
        CEO                             Fruehlingstr. 4
        Tel: +49/(0)89-84 99 92         D-82110 Germering bei Muenchen
        Fax: +49-(0)89-84 95 44         Germany

        ******         Cogito ergo Smalltalk         ******

Thu, 01 May 1997 21:59:20 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Yes, as a matter of fact I spoke to a sales rep from Parc Place
yesterday.  He said that NeXT is a competitor.  He said that NeXT was a
nicer front end (I believe he meant esthetically) but was considered
less 'open'.

Anyway, he said there will never be a version of VW for NeXTs.

Quote:

--
                            GLENN GOLDSTEIN
                       E-MAIL                VOICE            FAX

                  Business System and Database Design

Mon, 05 May 1997 21:26:23 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Quote:

> Yes, as a matter of fact I spoke to a sales rep from Parc Place
> yesterday.  He said that NeXT is a competitor.  He said that NeXT was a
> nicer front end (I believe he meant esthetically) but was considered
> less 'open'.

> Anyway, he said there will never be a version of VW for NeXTs.

This attitude will ultimately result in ParcPlace ceasing to be a viable
competitor in the market.  It's self-defeating for them not to support
their product on a "competitor's" platform.  It's arrogant and foolish
not to simply make the product available on such platforms - it won't
hurt ParcPlace, it will help them, because more people will have access
to their product, and people who use the competetive platform (possibly
because someone else told them to) will have the choice of paying for
the privilege of using ParcPlace software for development.

I am not currently a Next user, nor do I have plans to be.  However, I
have seen the damage done to companies (especially small, naive, arrogant
startups like ParcPlace) in the past by this sort of attitude toward
their users and potential users.  I used to work for one such company,
and it has since been through bankruptcy and is now barely surviving and
might as well not be.  Great technology by itself will NOT produce long
term commercial success - you might even conclude the opposite if you
look at some case studies.  You have to make supporting the customer your
top priority, because if they can't readily use your product to get their
work done, the product won't survive no matter how good it is.

Well, enough of that.  I hope someone at ParcPlace is listening - their
survival depends on it.

Mon, 05 May 1997 23:16:54 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Quote:

> Yes, as a matter of fact I spoke to a sales rep from Parc Place
> yesterday.  He said that NeXT is a competitor.  He said that NeXT was a
> nicer front end (I believe he meant esthetically) but was considered
> less 'open'.

> Anyway, he said there will never be a version of VW for NeXTs.

This differs from what I know about PPS's attitude. There is, in
fact, a VW 1.0 for NeXT (only black machines I think).
When I spoke to a german sales rep of PPS I was told, that they
would not port VW 2.0 because of the very disappointing sales
of their VW 1.0 product on this platform. That seemed very
reasonable to me, the programming environment seems in part superior
to the smalltalk one. That does not imply that I would not want PPS
to do the port.

| Guido Vrankar          |                                        |
| Computer Science  1    |  Tel. +49-231 9700 931                 |
| University of Dortmund |  Fax  +49-231 9700 939                 |
| Otto-Hahn-Str.16       |                                        |
| 44227 Dortmund         | email:                                 |

Tue, 06 May 1997 16:26:18 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Quote:
> Hi:

> Does anybody if VW 2.0 will be available on NeXTStep for Intel ? or
> are there any other st implementations available on NeXTStep for Intel ?

> -- Niranjan

I remember hearing that Parc Place consider NeXT to be a direct
competitor, so I doubt that VW will EVER be available on NeXTStep. Can
anyone confirm this ?

---

JP Morgan & Co. Inc        |  My clients rent my brain,
60 Wall Street, NYC            |      not my opinions

Sat, 03 May 1997 22:45:47 GMT
 VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?

Quote:

>> Hi:

>> Does anybody if VW 2.0 will be available on NeXTStep for Intel ? or
>> are there any other st implementations available on NeXTStep for Intel ?

>> -- Niranjan

>I remember hearing that Parc Place consider NeXT to be a direct
>competitor, so I doubt that VW will EVER be available on NeXTStep. Can
>anyone confirm this ?

Availability on a particular platform is entirely driven by amount of
customer demand. There was a port of VisualWorks 1.0 to NeXT machine,
but NeXT has decided to no longer be a hardware manufacturer, and
ParcPlace marketing has not forecast sufficient demand for NeXTStep
Intel. If you want it, tell ParcPlace Sales and Marketing. If enough
people ask for it, there will be $$$ justification for ParcPlace to do a
port.
--

Thu, 08 May 1997 06:12:14 GMT

1. VisualWorks on LINUX ? (was Re: VW 2.0 on NEXTSTEP for Intel ?)

2. VW 1.0 to VW 2.0 Upgrade Issues

3. CL and scheme on NeXTStep/Intel?

4. GCL (AKCL) for NextStep, intel hardware?

5. Trouble with Free Common LISPs for NeXTSTEP/Intel

6. CL and scheme on NeXTStep/Intel?

7. Use of VW 2.0 Notebook widget in VW 1.0

8. OLE 2.0 Support for VW 2.0

9. VW 3.0 on new Intel processors crashes?

10. VW 3.0 on new Intel processors crashes?

11. VW engine on Intel CPU and clones

12. VW engine on Intel CPU and clones