VA: Need "high performance container" part
Author Message
 VA: Need "high performance container" part

We are looking for a kind of "high performance container" part.

We have up to four container list boxes on a screen. The first and
second one may contain up to 8000 rows with each having 22 columns.
Now we need to take an item from one to the other list box very fast
(< 1 sec).
The behaviour of the basic container parts in VA is much to slow.

Who has or knows about a part which may have less functionallity but a
better performance than the VA container part?

Thanks for every answer

        Wolfgang

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VA: Need "high performance container" part

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VA: Need "high performance container" part

Quote:
> We are looking for a kind of "high performance container" part.

> We have up to four container list boxes on a screen. The first and
> second one may contain up to 8000 rows with each having 22 columns.
> Now we need to take an item from one to the other list box very fast
> (< 1 sec).
> The behaviour of the basic container parts in VA is much to slow.

> Who has or knows about a part which may have less functionallity but a
> better performance than the VA container part?

> Thanks for every answer

>    Wolfgang

The container detail part, provided in you standard VA, allows packeting.
This means that you can define a set of records to download initially for
table display.  When the container needs to display more records it signals
a packet signal.  This signal can be caught and appropriate action to load
the table could be made.  Placing over 50 rows in a container detail part
is likely going to cause slow performance as the table is not very
efficient in drawing itself.  But you can make the table only have 40 items
at any one time if you use this packeting feature of the table.  With the
items in memory, this should improve performance of the table dramatically.
 If this solution does not fit your needs you might want to take a look at
Object Shares WidgetKit table parts.  Along with spreadsheet like behavior,
they are quite efficient.

++++++++++++++++++++++
John Andrusek
The Object People

++++++++++++++++++++++

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VA: Need "high performance container" part

Quote:

>  If this solution does not fit your needs you might want to take a look at
> Object Shares WidgetKit table parts.  Along with spreadsheet like behavior,
> they are quite efficient.

Actually, that would be Smalltalk Systems' WidgetKit/Professional
product now. ;-)

-Eric Clayberg
President
Smalltalk Systems (StS), a division of Instantiations, Inc.

   Web: http://www.smalltalksystems.com
        http://www.instantiations.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VA: Need "high performance container" part

Quote:
> We are looking for a kind of "high performance container" part.

> We have up to four container list boxes on a screen. The first and
> second one may contain up to 8000 rows with each having 22 columns.
> Now we need to take an item from one to the other list box very fast
> (< 1 sec).
> The behaviour of the basic container parts in VA is much to slow.

> Who has or knows about a part which may have less functionallity but a
> better performance than the VA container part?

> Thanks for every answer

>    Wolfgang

Try Objectshare's Object Aware Spreadsheet Part.  I evaluated this
product for my client back in late 95.  We have a similiar requirement
as yours in that we have huge table that needs to be displayed and
requires very good response time.  You will amaze how much faster this
part than the native VA's table or Container detail part.
Unfortunately, if your platform is OS/2, you are out of luck as it is
not available under OS/2.

Specifically, I look at the performance on vertical scrolling,
reflection of domain changes, refesh on row/column, insert/delete
row(s), swapping columns etc.,.  For everything that I looked at, the
Object aware spreadsheet part is far more faster than the VA
counterpart.  The most critical one, which is vertical scrolling, is
so fast in the spreadsheet part that it is hard to see the content in
the changing rows.  Needless to say, we like what we saw.

However, the Object aware spreadsheet part is not perfect either.
Specifically,

1)  It did not support truely bi-directional udpate like VA's table or
container parts.  For example, a change in the domain does not
'instantly' reflected in the cell.  I have talked to Objecshare tech
support at that time and they did give me some fixes.  I am sure they
must have fixed this feature since it was almost 2 years ago.

2)  The spreadsheet utilizes an event called #record (if I remember
correctly!) throughout its own implementation.  It causes conflicts
with our domain classes since we have some classes that use the same
event name.  As a result, we have problem in some situation which
result in walkbacks and ObjectShare have send us temporary fixes at
that time.

3)   You will not be able to use some of the excellent features in Abt
level with the spreadsheet part which is built in functions under VA's
container part.  For example, VA's container is set up to take
advantage of VA specific protocols like OrderedCollection >>abrAdd:.
By using these methods, you can add individual row, without doing
anything extra, the container part will get reflected instantly with
the new row data.  This allows you to refresh the part  without
swapping the whole items with another orderedCollection or have to
explicitly send message to the part to update its current display.

Hope this helps..

--
Mark Wai
Frontier Systems Architecture Inc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. VA COBOL "CALL" performance problem

2. "VisualAge-Immediate Contract-Mutiple-MD-VA",md.jobs,va.jobs,dc.jobs

3. Container classes and "templates"

4. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. Responsible retail of "Herbal Highs"

6. Info please -- "High Level Assembler"

7. Using the Binder "high level" interface

8. Store the "high-level"of the comparasion of 2 float-values

9. Lets define "High level" (was: Need reference for "firewall"...)

10. "High School Computing: The Inside Story"

11. Tk: missing "high-level" callbacks

12. tcl: "incr" with high number