Questions from a naive user
Author Message
 Questions from a naive user

This is my first time to program in Smalltalk. I would like to ask where
can I get a good tutorial from internet for naive (like me :>) user?
Because I need to do a project to make "the flight chess game" with it,
I also need the tutorial about the Dictionary Class.

One more question. Can Smalltalk support to show transparent colour in an
image? I need to show graphics in tranparent colour too.

Thank you for your attention!

Justin

Fri, 02 May 2003 13:30:24 GMT
 Questions from a naive user
Leung,

Quote:
> This is my first time to program in SmallTalk. I would like to ask where
> can I get a good tutorial from internet for naive (like me :>) user?
> Because I need to do a project to make "the flight chess game" with it,
> I also need the tutorial about the Dictionary Class.

There's a beginners tutorial for Dolphin at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

although I don't think it includes much information on Dictionary. Try
looking for the Smalltalk Express tutorial... that may have useful stuff in
it on the Collection hierarchy (of which Dictionary is a part)

http://www.*-*-*.com/

ah, yes, Chapter 7 is what you want...and there is some stuff on
Dictionaries. BTW, most of the non-GUI Smalltalk Express stuff will work in
Dolphin.

Quote:
> One more question. Can Smalltalk support to show transparent colour in an
> image? I need to show graphics in tranparent colour too.

It isn't so much whether Smalltalk can support transparency as whether your
underlying graphic substrate can. By default, Dolphin Smalltalk uses Windows
bitmaps for graphics and these generally don't support an alpha
(transparency) component. What you'll probably want to do is to use DirectX
(DirectDraw in particular) or OpenGL which will allow you to do this sort of
stuff. There is an unsupported DirectX Kit available for Dolphin in the
Object Arts downloads library:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

or I believe Creative Computing have an OpenGL interface at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Best Regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Not all {*filter*}ions are Bad for you
http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}ion.htm

Fri, 02 May 2003 18:52:02 GMT

1. naive type checking II (not so naive?)

2. scavenge outliers from a long list - naive user help

3. Alternate reads from two tables - naive user help

4. Questions from a naive st programmer

5. Naive Forth questions

6. Extremely naive (and probably stupid) question

7. (Yet another) naive question

8. Naive question

9. Naive question

10. Another naive question