ObjectEngine hangs in VW2.0
Author Message
 ObjectEngine hangs in VW2.0

We are having difficulty with the ObjectEngine (PPS' term for the virtual
machine) in VisualWorks 2.0{*filter*} as a result of some mouse/keyboard
action. It is difficult to determine just what events will cause this
since it occurs irregularly. About all we can identify is that is has
soemthing to do with rapid mouse movement, and the resulting symptom is
that the ObjectEngine is put into a sleep state. This all occurs on a
SPARC 2 running SunOS 4.4.1. (The X window manager is TWM.) We have not
(as yet) seen this happen on the Mac version of VW 2.0. Has anyone
experienced similar behavior and/or has an idea of the cause?
--dick peskin
=================================

"Good work is always done in defiance of management."  R. Woodward

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 03:49:30 GMT
 ObjectEngine hangs in VW2.0

Quote:
> We are having difficulty with the ObjectEngine (PPS' term for the virtual
> machine) in VisualWorks 2.0{*filter*} as a result of some mouse/keyboard
> action. It is difficult to determine just what events will cause this
> since it occurs irregularly. About all we can identify is that is has
> soemthing to do with rapid mouse movement, and the resulting symptom is
> that the ObjectEngine is put into a sleep state. This all occurs on a
> SPARC 2 running SunOS 4.4.1. (The X window manager is TWM.) We have not
> (as yet) seen this happen on the Mac version of VW 2.0. Has anyone
> experienced similar behavior and/or has an idea of the cause?

This bug is actually documented in the release notes for VW2.0

When your O.E. hangs, try sending it an alarm signal:

kill -ALRM [pid]

-Ted
--
Theodore A. Phelps              | "She says my work is like eating cold oatmeal

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~phelps |  and she's right"    - Poi Dog Pondering

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 06:28:47 GMT
 ObjectEngine hangs in VW2.0

Quote:

> We are having difficulty with the ObjectEngine (PPS' term for the
virtual
> machine) in VisualWorks 2.0{*filter*} as a result of some mouse/keyboard
> action. It is difficult to determine just what events will cause this
> since it occurs irregularly. About all we can identify is that is has
> soemthing to do with rapid mouse movement, and the resulting symptom is
> that the ObjectEngine is put into a sleep state. This all occurs on a
> SPARC 2 running SunOS 4.4.1. (The X window manager is TWM.) We have not
> (as yet) seen this happen on the Mac version of VW 2.0. Has anyone
> experienced similar behavior and/or has an idea of the cause?
> --dick peskin
> =================================

> "Good work is always done in defiance of management."  R. Woodward

Yes, I've had this happen several times.  The Release Notes (p.20) suggest
executing the Object Engine with the -o8 option "if this becomes a serious
problem."  :-)  These instructions are for "SunOS 4.3" which I presume is
4.1.3.  I've added this flag to my alias, and it crashed since.  I should
insert the disclaimer that I've been working on the database since the
alias change, and haven't run PPVW.  I'm hopeful, though.

Any ideas what the -o8 option is?  I've briefly perused the manuals to no
avail.

best of luck!
kit transue

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 06:38:36 GMT
 ObjectEngine hangs in VW2.0
This happens occasionally in the OS/2 version as well.
It used to happen in VW 1.0 (4.1d) too.

PP Tech Support seems stumped on this one.

Jim

Thu, 01 May 1997 02:03:27 GMT

1. VW images using ObjectEngine 3.1c hang

2. VW2.0 for Windows hangs under OS2 Warp

3. VW2.5 events hang dialog?!

4. What's new in the vw 2.5.2 ObjectEngine

5. VW2.0 & VW2.5

6. VW2.0 and VW2.5 under NT 4.0: Pixmap toClipboard-Error

7. Stored procedures VW2.0, VW2.5

8. What is the difference between VW2.0 and VW2.5?

9. Lens in VW2.0

10. vw2.5 sometimes slows down when large

11. GF/ST on VW2.52 question

12. WinNT VW2.5 SocketAccessor help ?