DocumentShell>>fileSave needs ActiveX Automation
Author Message
 DocumentShell>>fileSave needs ActiveX Automation

I've had my first deployment problem. When I tried to save my document, and
the document file was read-only, I got an UndefinedObject send. I tracked it
down to this line in DocumentShell>>fileSave:

MessageBox errorMsg: 'Unable to save file ', e file name printString
caption: 'Error - ', e messageText].

After more debugging, I determined that e messageText answered nil (Ian,
this is a great reason not to use ,!:)--and this is the first time I've ever
seen six meaningful punctuation marks in a row.) The reason is that
HRESULTError's override of messageText was packaged in ActiveX Automation,
which was stripped from the deployment image.

Assuming my diagnosis is correct, what's the best solution?

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:57:01 GMT
 DocumentShell>>fileSave needs ActiveX Automation

Quote:
> I've had my first deployment problem. When I tried to save my document,
and
> the document file was read-only, I got an UndefinedObject send. I tracked
it
> down to this line in DocumentShell>>fileSave:

> MessageBox errorMsg: 'Unable to save file ', e file name printString
> caption: 'Error - ', e messageText].

> After more debugging, I determined that e messageText answered nil (Ian,
> this is a great reason not to use ,!:)--and this is the first time I've
ever
> seen six meaningful punctuation marks in a row.) The reason is that
> HRESULTError's override of messageText was packaged in ActiveX Automation,
> which was stripped from the deployment image.

> Assuming my diagnosis is correct, what's the best solution?

In this case I think that HRESULTError>>messageText is probably packaged
incorrectly, so the loose method should just be removed from 'ActiveX
Automation' so it becomes part of the base.

In general where a package is only a pre-requisite because of a dependency
on a loose method in it, the package system will not be able to detect this
dependency automatically, and so it must be set up as a manual
pre-requisite. To do this one has to use the 'Properties' command on the
package browser's Package context menu to open a Flipper inspector on the
package. One of the aspects shown is entitled 'manualPrerequisites',
selecting this, and then pressing the '*' (new) button will bring up a
choice prompter with a list of all the packages in the system.

Regards

Blair

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:18:30 GMT
 DocumentShell>>fileSave needs ActiveX Automation

Quote:

> In this case I think that HRESULTError>>messageText is probably packaged
> incorrectly, so the loose method should just be removed from 'ActiveX
> Automation' so it becomes part of the base.

To avoid problems with setting up a new image, I just moved the method to my
own package for now--it's the only one that uses documents.

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:09:31 GMT

1. D4.0 bug in DocumentShell>>promptToSaveChanges:

2. HELP>>>>>>>Fortran-Pascal Linking

3. >>>>>>>FROM SMTK TO C++

4. ><><><><>Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp on INT 14!><><><><><>

5. <<<<<YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT >>>>>>>>>> 2103

6. >>>>>AVL tree

7. >>>>>How to read a IMAGE file?(BMP, GIF)|||||||||

8. ANNOUNCE>>>>>TOTAL FrameWork from Cincom

9. >>>Entrepreneurs Needed<

10. >>>Entrepreneurs Needed

11. Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>

12. KC>>>Smalltalk>>>All Flavors Needed!!