Meta Compiler Experience in VW
Author Message
 Meta Compiler Experience in VW

Hi

I would like to parse and analysis Java code.
From what I heard, in Java there is some open source meta-compilers that
allow one to specify the grammar you otain a parse tree of the language.
Then using visitors you can walk through the tree.

I would like to

        - know if people have experience with the meta compiler that comes
        with advanced tools. Could I define a Java grammar with that?

        - Same question with TGen

        - know if somebody already make a java scanner, parser..... in
        any Smalltalk dialect

Stef

thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Meta Compiler Experience in VW

Quote:

[...]
> I would like to

>         - know if people have experience with the meta compiler that comes
>         with advanced tools. Could I define a Java grammar with that?

>         - Same question with TGen

I've dabbled with both, the advanced tools scanner seems somewat coupled
to the smalltalk language, but not prohibitively so. My biggest qualm is
that the syntax is arcane, when I come back to code after a while it
takes some effort to read it. It only generates one kind of parser.

TGen is a sledgehammer, it tries to optimize your grammar, then tries to
implement it as a state machine, if that fails it will create a slower
recursive descent parser. I enjoyed playing with it but found the
scanner somewhat wanting. It's programming tool is simplistic and
usefull. A drawback is that one part early in the develelopment process
requires a watershed approach (the grammar wants to be machine optimized
before you insert your own parser actions), but the tool has support to
alleviate the pain somewhat.

I like TGen slightly more, but I expect both to be suitable to implement
a java parser. Theoretically TGen should be able to make faster parsers
but I never verified that.
TGen will be more daunting to people unfamiliar with parsing
terminology, it's tools and error messages assume this knowledge.

HTH,

Reinout Heeck
-------------

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Meta Compiler Experience in VW
The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit can be obtained
with a robust Java grammar (and actually, many other langauges).
It builds compact trees (2 million lines in single address space),
can carry out surface-syntax transforms, provides an attribute
evaluator with which to construct analyzers, and has a prettyprinter
to convert a modified AST back into legal Java.

See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

--

Semantic Designs, Inc., www.semdesigns.com FAX 512-250-1191
12636 Research Blvd #C214, Austin, Texas 78759

Quote:
> Hi

> I would like to parse and analysis Java code.
> From what I heard, in Java there is some open source meta-compilers that
> allow one to specify the grammar you otain a parse tree of the language.
> Then using visitors you can walk through the tree.

> I would like to

> - know if people have experience with the meta compiler that comes
> with advanced tools. Could I define a Java grammar with that?

> - Same question with TGen

> - know if somebody already make a java scanner, parser..... in
> any Smalltalk dialect

> Stef

> thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. BlackBox Meta: accessing methods through Meta

2. meta-circular-meta-interpreters (long)

3. #\Meta #\Control #\Meta-Control etc.

4. Meta Compiler.

5. NOTCH meta-compiler under FPC

6. PPS/VW on PowerMac experiences?

7. Experienced Compiler Developers Wanted

8. Bad experiences with PL/I-Compiler

9. Evaluating Ada compilers -- any experiences, tips?

10. Compiler Experiences Desired

11. Tartan Ada Compiler Experiences

12. Experiences/history of Aetech Ada compiler?