Ascertaining OO Analysis Skills
Author Message
 Ascertaining OO Analysis Skills

Quote:

much like detectives. They search for clues, read between the lines,
ask a lot of questions, and slowly build a case for their particular
solution. Designers, on the other hand, are much more focused in their
reasoning, like physicians. Everything that is to be known
is in a few places. The problem space is now finite, but a variety
of candidate solutions are evaluated to arrive at the best fit. Analysis
focuses on identifying the goal (e.g., what needs to be accomplished)
while design focuses on how best to achieve that goal (e.g., lowest
cost, fastest time to market, most flexibility, ...).

Ronald C. Schultz                               | Phone: (301) 417-9884
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 417-0021

Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877                    |

Sun, 08 Oct 1995 11:11:57 GMT
 Ascertaining OO Analysis Skills

[...cast of thousands comment...]

> much like detectives. They search for clues, read between the lines,
> ask a lot of questions, and slowly build a case for their particular
> solution. Designers, on the other hand, are much more focused in their
> reasoning, like physicians. Everything that is to be known
> is in a few places. The problem space is now finite, but a variety
> of candidate solutions are evaluated to arrive at the best fit. Analysis
> focuses on identifying the goal (e.g., what needs to be accomplished)
> while design focuses on how best to achieve that goal (e.g., lowest
> cost, fastest time to market, most flexibility, ...).

I'm probably going to get this wrong, but something doesn't ring quite
right here.  It seems you are saying that the analyst is deducing that
a particular solution fits, but that the designer is opening up the
solution space again.  I don't think you mean that.

One of crucial elements is abstraction is the removal of components that
have a minimal to zero effect on the object being analyzed.  My comment
about physicists was related to the subject of controlled experiments.
The concencept
Sorry - workstation problems.  The concept of controls permits abstraction
of reality in the sense that certain things are known or controlled for
in the experiment.  The analogy to abstraction is that those elements
abstracted for study must exist within a controlled environment at
each level.  It is crucial to have the ability to know when those
constraints are violated.  The practice of experiments helps to teach
or develop that ability.  Hence when working in the software discipline,
I would venture that experimentalists use this understanding of control
to help in the abstraction process.

George X. Kambic

standard disclaimer - I haven't read this, I don't mean it, and you
couldn't find me anyway.

Tue, 10 Oct 1995 03:23:48 GMT

1. Ascertaining OO Analysis Skills

2. Skills Needed: OO-Modeling, OO-Architecture, VisualWorks

3. OO-Developers with Smalltalk and/or Java skills

4. OO Analysis & Design CASE tool

5. OO Analysis & Design class

6. OO Analysis and Design Methods

7. OO analysis CASE tools for Smalltalk/V ?

8. QUESTIONNAIRE ON OO ANALYSIS AND DESIGN

9. a technological society requires visual literacy skills as well as verbal skills

10. QUESTIONNAIRE ON OO ANALYSIS AND DESIGN METHODOLOGIES

11. EXPERIENCE/ OPINION WITH OO ANALYSIS AND DESIGN METHODOLOGIES

12. QUESTIONNAIRE ON OO ANALYSIS AND DESIGN METHODOLOGIES