squeak won't squeak...
Author Message
 squeak won't squeak...

hi,

i was recommended to check out Smalltalk for learning oo. i found squeak
and am very impressed with it, on paper: the problem is that i can't get
it to run.

i am using macs. i downloaded the 7.5 meg mac complete package and have
tried installing it both on a rev. a imac and a firewire g3 powerbook
with no luck. i drag the image onto the vm as instructed and i get a
little window that comes up saying:

This interpreter (vers. 6502 cannot read image file (vers. 0
Hit the CR to quit

i tried updating the vm to 3.0.11, but still nothing.

please advise.

thanks in advance (cc newsgroup responses to my email if you don't mind),

jack

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:57:22 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...
Can't speak to your problems, but you might also look at VisualWorks
non-commercial - it's available on the Mac (and loads of other platforms
as well).

It's actually a relative of Squeak.  see:

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:13:20 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...

Quote:
> hi,

> i was recommended to check out smalltalk for learning oo. i found squeak
> and am very impressed with it, on paper: the problem is that i can't get
> it to run.

> i am using macs. i downloaded the 7.5 meg mac complete package and have
> tried installing it both on a rev. a imac and a firewire g3 powerbook
> with no luck. i drag the image onto the vm as instructed and i get a
> little window that comes up saying:

Did the image download as binary or 'text'? Did you use FTP or HTTP to
download?

Try to get version 2.8.2 or later in stuffit file (.sit) form.

--
       <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:44:59 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...
hi,

it was binary. i used ftp. everything opens fine and it starts to run
when i drag the image onto the vm, but then i get the wierd error
after that...

it was with version 3, which i have heard is a substantial improvement
over previous versions, and is what attracted me to squeak. i might
give 2.8.x a try just to see if i can run it, but i did want to use
3.x on a more ongoing basis.

jack

Quote:

> > hi,

> > i was recommended to check out smalltalk for learning oo. i found squeak
> > and am very impressed with it, on paper: the problem is that i can't get
> > it to run.

> > i am using macs. i downloaded the 7.5 meg mac complete package and have
> > tried installing it both on a rev. a imac and a firewire g3 powerbook
> > with no luck. i drag the image onto the vm as instructed and i get a
> > little window that comes up saying:

> Did the image download as binary or 'text'? Did you use FTP or HTTP to
> download?

> Try to get version 2.8.2 or later in stuffit file (.sit) form.

> --
>        <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:57:42 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...
I believe there is an option in Stuffit to do "smart" cr/lf conversion.

Turn this off when you extract the files.

Steve

Quote:
> hi,

> it was binary. i used ftp. everything opens fine and it starts to run
> when i drag the image onto the vm, but then i get the wierd error
> after that...

> it was with version 3, which i have heard is a substantial improvement
> over previous versions, and is what attracted me to squeak. i might
> give 2.8.x a try just to see if i can run it, but i did want to use
> 3.x on a more ongoing basis.

> jack

> > > hi,

> > > i was recommended to check out smalltalk for learning oo. i found
squeak
> > > and am very impressed with it, on paper: the problem is that i can't
get
> > > it to run.

> > > i am using macs. i downloaded the 7.5 meg mac complete package and
have
> > > tried installing it both on a rev. a imac and a firewire g3 powerbook
> > > with no luck. i drag the image onto the vm as instructed and i get a
> > > little window that comes up saying:

> > Did the image download as binary or 'text'? Did you use FTP or HTTP to
> > download?

> > Try to get version 2.8.2 or later in stuffit file (.sit) form.

> > --
> >        <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 05:14:37 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...
hi,

couldn't find that option in my version of stuffit, still having the
same problem. has anyone else come across this before?

thanks,

jack

ps: is the activity on the list really slow, or is it digest by default
when you first sign on? i tried to post this question there and the
intro message says you get copies of your posts back. i haven't gotten
anything from the squeak list yet.

Quote:

> I believe there is an option in Stuffit to do "smart" cr/lf conversion.

> Turn this off when you extract the files.

> Steve

> > hi,

> > it was binary. i used ftp. everything opens fine and it starts to run
> > when i drag the image onto the vm, but then i get the wierd error
> > after that...

> > it was with version 3, which i have heard is a substantial improvement
> > over previous versions, and is what attracted me to squeak. i might
> > give 2.8.x a try just to see if i can run it, but i did want to use
> > 3.x on a more ongoing basis.

> > jack

> squeak
> get

> have

> > > Did the image download as binary or 'text'? Did you use FTP or HTTP to
> > > download?

> > > Try to get version 2.8.2 or later in stuffit file (.sit) form.

> > > --
> > >        <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:57:16 GMT
 squeak won't squeak...
Hi Jack,

There's a bit of Squeak/Mac arcania which you may or may not know.  I
always forget.  Using a program called ResEdit, associate the Squeak
image file with type 'STim' and creator 'FAST', case sensitive but
without the quote marks.  ResEdit is from Apple, so if you don't have
it, I expect they do.

The visual indicator of whether you need to do this, at least on my iMac
(8.5.1) is:  unless the icon for the image file shows up with a
mouse-and-(pencil?) icon (vs the mouse icon of the vm), you probably
need to do the ResEdit thing.

(For non-Mac-using lurkers, it is things like this that cause all that
praise for the platform's "intuitive" nature.)

If that doesn't do it, subscribe to the Squeak list

someone'll surely be able to get you rolling.

Paul

Quote:

> hi,

> couldn't find that option in my version of stuffit, still having the
> same problem. has anyone else come across this before?

> thanks,

> jack

> ps: is the activity on the list really slow, or is it digest by default
> when you first sign on? i tried to post this question there and the
> intro message says you get copies of your posts back. i haven't gotten
> anything from the squeak list yet.

> > I believe there is an option in Stuffit to do "smart" cr/lf conversion.

> > Turn this off when you extract the files.

> > Steve

> > > hi,

> > > it was binary. i used ftp. everything opens fine and it starts to run
> > > when i drag the image onto the vm, but then i get the wierd error
> > > after that...

> > > it was with version 3, which i have heard is a substantial improvement
> > > over previous versions, and is what attracted me to squeak. i might
> > > give 2.8.x a try just to see if i can run it, but i did want to use
> > > 3.x on a more ongoing basis.

> > > jack

> > squeak
> > get

> > have

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:16:29 GMT

1. The first periodical on Squeak: Squeak News e-zine

2. The first periodical on Squeak: Squeak News e-zine

3. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

4. Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

5. Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

6. Squeak News Dec-Jan, Feb and future issues, and season's greetings

7. Squeak's awful look

8. Update on Squeak-end '00 -- NEXT WEEKEND

9. Squeak SSP - I don't get it.

10. Q: Squeak's memory limit

11. OOPSLA'97 Real Time Report: Will Squeak Save Smalltalk

12. Squeak's presence on the Internet?