GNU ST binaries somewhere ?
Author Message
 GNU ST binaries somewhere ?

hello,

are there some GNU Smalltalk prebuilt binaries somewhere ?

TIA,
Pierre.

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:15:29 GMT
 GNU ST binaries somewhere ?
Bru, Pierre schrieb:

Quote:
> hello,

> are there some GNU Smalltalk prebuilt binaries somewhere ?

Sorry, but why?
With binaries you take the risk of broken library references and
hence you might get the wrong impression of this wonderfull
Smalltalk system.

IMHO one should ALWAYS try to "make" on the target system, before
installing any binaries.

Shin

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:20:22 GMT
 GNU ST binaries somewhere ?

Quote:

> > are there some GNU Smalltalk prebuilt binaries somewhere ?

> Sorry, but why?

Well, for one reason it takes (on this machine) slightly over 16 mins to
configure and build GSt.

Then you discover that it hadn't worked properly (I, personally, have never
known an autoconfig script that actually worked first time).  Then you try to
work out what failed, dragging through endless, poorly documented, shell
scripts (nothing to do with GSt, it's just GNU) that call other shell scripts
that you don't have on your machine in the first place.  After a while -- and
several more reconfigs/builds at 1/4 hour a go -- you find that you still can't
work out what is actually needed, and just give up.

(My experience on Cygwin.  On Linux -- SuSE 8.1 --, it doesn't even compile, I
don't know why and lack the ambition to go trawling through the autoconfig mess
yet again.)

    -- chris

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:58:35 GMT
 GNU ST binaries somewhere ?
Quote:

>> > are there some GNU Smalltalk prebuilt binaries somewhere ?

>> Sorry, but why?

> Well, for one reason it takes (on this machine) slightly over 16
> mins to configure and build GSt.

Ok, but seamless integration with your system library should be
worth it.

Quote:
> Then you discover that it hadn't worked properly (I, personally,
> have never
> known an autoconfig script that actually worked first time).  Then
> you try to work out what failed, dragging through endless, poorly
> documented, shell scripts (nothing to do with GSt, it's just GNU)
> that call other shell scripts
> that you don't have on your machine in the first place.  After a
> while -- and several more reconfigs/builds at 1/4 hour a go -- you
> find that you still can't work out what is actually needed, and
> just give up.

Hm, these are real {*filter*} experiences. I know what you mean. I had no
problems compiling GST-2.1 on my Slackware-8.1, whereas GST-2.1.x
configured nicely but didn't compile.

Quote:
> (My experience on Cygwin.

Aah, interesting. I'd like to give it a try on W2K too. Hold on,
I'll come up with my experiences ;-)

Quote:
>  On Linux -- SuSE 8.1 --, it doesn't
> even compile.

Hm, again, I think GST-2.1 should do it.

Shin

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:24:19 GMT

1. SMOPS for GNU/ST and Little/ST

2. GNU ST and SegV w/CFuncs.st

3. Trouble building tcludp under Linux - binaries somewhere?

4. GNU-ST not quite complete?

5. GNU ST on Linux

6. GNU ST for Win32?

7. Any Gnu ST users on this group?

8. GNU-ST and Emacs?

9. Whereabouts of Steve Byrne/Gnu ST maintainer

10. GNU ST Docs

11. GNU ST-1.1.1 C Callout Functions

12. Gnu st for shell-scripts?