Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools
Author Message
 Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools

I have been hunting for a MySQL driver for VW 7; I found one
for VW 3.1 - that might work for me, but the VW version
difference is worrisome.

Even though I usually use MySQL because it is so simple
to set up and use (and reliable for my uses), I would not
mind at all using Postgres if there is solid VW7 support
for that.

There is a very good MySQL driver for Squeak, but I just
signed a Cincom VAR contract, so I think that I will
just use Squeak for multimedia in the future and concentrate
on learning the VisualWorks environment.

I also checked out MinneStore - looks interesting, but the
download link for a VW 5.3 version is broken.

Thanks in advance for any information.

-Mark

-- Mark Watson, consultant and author: www.markwatson.com
--    Open Source and free web books
--    Commercial NLP products with live web demos

Sun, 03 Apr 2005 04:57:37 GMT
 Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools

Quote:

> Even though I usually use MySQL because it is so simple to set up and
> use (and reliable for my uses), I would not mind at all using Postgres
> if there is solid VW7 support for that.

Well, there are PostgreSQL drivers that come with VisualWorks, and these
have been used quite a bit.  I think they could be called "solid".

If you want to pay for support, I might be able to arange that - I wrote
the libraries, and would be more than happy to provide fee based support.
:-)

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:58:48 GMT
 Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools
I'd go with Postgres.  Go with the EXDI, don't use Lens.
Actually my real recommendation is to go with a third party package that
goes
over the EXDI.  Chances are this will save you a minimum of a man-month
of
work. I may be
able to help you out anyway, if your interested tag me on Instant
Message may
screen name is lopemanc and will see if we can work something out.

Good luck,

Chris Lopeman

Quote:

> I have been hunting for a MySQL driver for VW 7; I found one
> for VW 3.1 - that might work for me, but the VW version
> difference is worrisome.

> Even though I usually use MySQL because it is so simple
> to set up and use (and reliable for my uses), I would not
> mind at all using Postgres if there is solid VW7 support
> for that.

> There is a very good MySQL driver for Squeak, but I just
> signed a Cincom VAR contract, so I think that I will
> just use Squeak for multimedia in the future and concentrate
> on learning the VisualWorks environment.

> I also checked out MinneStore - looks interesting, but the
> download link for a VW 5.3 version is broken.

> Thanks in advance for any information.

> -Mark

> -- Mark Watson, consultant and author: www.markwatson.com
> --    Open Source and free web books
> --    Commercial NLP products with live web demos

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:04:57 GMT
 Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools

Quote:
> I'd go with Postgres.  Go with the EXDI, don't use Lens.
> Actually my real recommendation is to go with a third party package that
> goes
> over the EXDI.  Chances are this will save you a minimum of a man-month
> of
> work. I may be
> able to help you out anyway, if your interested tag me on Instant
> Message may
> screen name is lopemanc and will see if we can work something out.

> Good luck,

> Chris Lopeman

Thanks for the offer.
Unfortunately, I do not have a budget for this project> At least not yet.
But I'll keep your product in mind for the future.

Best,

Stefano

Quote:

>> I have been hunting for a MySQL driver for VW 7; I found one
>> for VW 3.1 - that might work for me, but the VW version
>> difference is worrisome.

>> Even though I usually use MySQL because it is so simple
>> to set up and use (and reliable for my uses), I would not
>> mind at all using Postgres if there is solid VW7 support
>> for that.

>> There is a very good MySQL driver for Squeak, but I just
>> signed a Cincom VAR contract, so I think that I will
>> just use Squeak for multimedia in the future and concentrate
>> on learning the VisualWorks environment.

>> I also checked out MinneStore - looks interesting, but the
>> download link for a VW 5.3 version is broken.

>> Thanks in advance for any information.

>> -Mark

>> -- Mark Watson, consultant and author: www.markwatson.com
>> --    Open Source and free web books
>> --    Commercial NLP products with live web demos

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:31:07 GMT

1. Memory leak when using database connectivity toolset and ODBC driver for MySQL

2. Database Connectivity (MySQL)

3. ANNOUNCE: New MySQL extension (a little bit different to the others)

4. Database Connectivity

5. where to get database parcel for oracle 8i connectivity

6. VW5i.3nc - No Database Connectivity Kit

7. DATABASE CONNECTIVITY

8. Database connectivity

9. Smalltalk - Relational Database Connectivity

10. Internet Database Connectivity

11. Database Connectivity Toolset - Update

12. LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolset Announced