Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength? 
Author Message
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

The normal volume of Smalltalk ads has not changed and PPD stock is way up.  
However, I am noticing a lot more Smalltalkers available ads.  Is this a new
marketing trend, or a sign of weakness in the Smalltalk biz?  Perhaps its a
temporary blip caused by the collapse of QSYS and the changing in
ObjectStudio ownership?
-Joe Hughes



Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

> The normal volume of Smalltalk ads has not changed and PPD stock is way up.
> However, I am noticing a lot more Smalltalkers available ads.  Is this a new
> marketing trend, or a sign of weakness in the Smalltalk biz?  Perhaps its a
> temporary blip caused by the collapse of QSYS and the changing in
> ObjectStudio ownership?
> -Joe Hughes

I don't have any real data on this, but it is possible that the increase in
posts announcing the availability of Smalltalkers is a) a sign that more
Smalltalkers are working on a contract basis, and/or b) a consequence of the
increased usage of the net by more people for more purposes--and the increased
social acceptability of such usage.  But I suspect that there is more to it
than that.

A larger Smalltalk market necessarily means more Smalltalkers working on more
projects.  It could also mean more unfilled Smalltalk programming positions
(assuming the percentage of unfilled positions/total positions remains constant).
It could also mean more Smalltalkers seeking positions (assuming the percentage
of position seekers to total positions remains constant).  Of course, there is
no reason to assume that the percentages of available positions or position
seekers to total positions would have to be a constant.   The likely dynamic
would be that 1) the percentage of unfilled positions rises, 2) hourly rates
and salaries rise, 3) more position seekers appear, attracted by the higher
hourly rates and salaries, 4) some positions disappear, because the employers
decide that Smalltalkers are too expensive, so the percentage of position
seekers increases as more come on line and as employers choose less pricey
talent, 5) hourly rates and salaries fall due to the change in the supply-demand
balance.  This is probably the stage we have been in for a while now.  I expect
the next transition will be a loop back to stage 1 (because the hourly rates
and salaries will have fallen, more talent will be available, employers will
have discovered that the alternative technologies have worse problems than the
ones they didn't like with Smalltalk, and the Smalltalk vendors will have put out
better products).  As long as the size of the Smalltalk market during the next
"stage 1" is larger than it was during the last  "stage 1," then there is no need
to worry.

Market booms are always followed by crashes--which are then always followed
by yet another boom, and so on.

According to Baron Rothschild, "the time to buy is when the {*filter*} is running
in the streets." Buy low, sell high.

--
Alan L. Lovejoy         | Would you sign a contract to receive $100k term life




Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?


writes:

Quote:
>However, I am noticing a lot more Smalltalkers available ads.  Is this a
new
>marketing trend, or a sign of weakness in the Smalltalk biz?

I've noticed this too.  Last year I figured June to be something of a
'crises' point for Smalltalk employability where the going would get tough
(and the tough would get...).

Not overly happy that this might be taking place now that June is upon us.
 Java is snatching a lot of development mindshare and I had sort of
wistfully hoped it would take from C++ disproportionately.

Chuck Durrett
The WebBook Company
810.644.2725
Birmingham, Michigan, USA

"Thanks for listening."



Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:


> writes:

> >However, I am noticing a lot more Smalltalkers available ads.  Is this a
> new
> >marketing trend, or a sign of weakness in the Smalltalk biz?

> I've noticed this too.  Last year I figured June to be something of a
> 'crises' point for Smalltalk employability where the going would get tough
> (and the tough would get...).

> Not overly happy that this might be taking place now that June is upon us.
>  Java is snatching a lot of development mindshare and I had sort of
> wistfully hoped it would take from C++ disproportionately.

> Chuck Durrett
> The WebBook Company
> 810.644.2725
> Birmingham, Michigan, USA

> "Thanks for listening."

On the other hand, I am not seeing any great volume of posts to comp.lang.java
offering jobs or contracts.  So far, Java is mostly being used to build web
pages, not so much for in-house client-server applications.

--
Alan L. Lovejoy         | Would you sign a contract to receive $100k term life




Fri, 13 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:
> On the other hand, I am not seeing any great volume of posts to comp.lang.java
> offering jobs or contracts.  So far, Java is mostly being used to build web
> pages, not so much for in-house client-server applications.

Thank you for your responses.
I definitely agree here.  Java is not ready, even with PARTS for Java.  I also can attest that the
companies who normally buy Smalltalk are not switching to Java just yet.  So I really don't think that
Java is the culprit.  It is either as Alan said a small oversupply which is healthy for the language,
although no our wallets, or as I said reactions from defections a QSYS, KSC and ObjectStudio.

BTW, I have comfirmed from a former VMARK employee (Not Joe Kinsella) that ObjectStudio's North American
development has been shut down.

-Joe Hughes



Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?


Quote:

>So far, Java is mostly being used to build web
>pages, not so much for in-house client-server applications.

But what if the "in-house client-server applications" ARE only web pages?

Chuck Durrett
The WebBook Company
810.644.2725
Birmingham, Michigan, USA

"Thanks for listening."



Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:



> >So far, Java is mostly being used to build web
> >pages, not so much for in-house client-server applications.

> But what if the "in-house client-server applications" ARE only web pages?

Then the server (where most of the work is) is likely to be VisualWave/Gemstone.

--
Alan L. Lovejoy         | Would you sign a contract to receive $100k term life




Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

>> On the other hand, I am not seeing any great volume of posts to comp.lang.java
>> offering jobs or contracts.  So far, Java is mostly being used to build web
>> pages, not so much for in-house client-server applications.

The Smalltalk job postings is one of the curiosities I have noticed on
the Web.  I currently work in C++, but have gone through formal Java
training and have worked for several years in Smalltalk.  I rarely see
posts on the net regarding C++ jobs--but always come across ST jobs.
What I find odd about this is that if I open the paper or talk to a
recruiter, they have few (if any) Smalltalk jobs but MANY C++ jobs!

I guess I am very aware of this since I just decided to switch jobs...

As for Java, I think you are probably right--there are not a lot of
jobs out there yet.  Myself and engineers I know have received several
calls or direct emails from people on the net looking for
consultants/programmers--but very few are doing any real Java work
right now.

Quote:
>BTW, I have comfirmed from a former VMARK employee (Not Joe Kinsella) that ObjectStudio's North American
>development has been shut down.

Why is it I keep getting mentioned with respect to the VMark press
release?  Yes I worked for Easel for 4 years and yes I posted the
press release as an FYI to everyone--but I certainly have not had the
desire or need to comment on the press release.  I also never worked
for VMark, and have had nothing to do with Object Studio for over a
year!

Joe Kinsella
Pro CD




Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

> > But what if the "in-house client-server applications" ARE only web pages?

> Then the server (where most of the work is) is likely to be VisualWave/Gemstone.

Anybody care to comment on how IBM's WebObjects (I *think* that's what they're
calling it) for VisualAge compares to VisualWave?

Also, is WebObjects a real product yet?  Anybody know?

Nevin



Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Joe K wrote

Quote:
> Why is it I keep getting mentioned with respect to the VMark press
> release?  Yes I worked for Easel for 4 years and yes I posted the
> press release as an FYI to everyone--but I certainly have not had the
> desire or need to comment on the press release.  I also never worked
> for VMark, and have had nothing to do with Object Studio for over a
> year!

Somebody thought that you might be fibbing about the news, they claimed
that you had a bad relationship with them.  I did not know if it was true
or not, so I pointed out that I had a different source.  Notice, that I
didn't criticize you myself since I had no facts.

-Joe



Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

> Why is it I keep getting mentioned with respect to the VMark press
> release?  Yes I worked for Easel for 4 years and yes I posted the
> press release as an FYI to everyone--but I certainly have not had the
> desire or need to comment on the press release.  I also never worked
> for VMark, and have had nothing to do with Object Studio for over a
> year!

There was a posted rumor that you might not be credible.  I don't care if
this was true or not, don't take it personally. So I added that I had
another source.

-Joe Hughes



Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

>Joe K wrote
>> Why is it I keep getting mentioned with respect to the VMark press
>> release?  Yes I worked for Easel for 4 years and yes I posted the
>> press release as an FYI to everyone--but I certainly have not had the
>> desire or need to comment on the press release.  I also never worked
>> for VMark, and have had nothing to do with Object Studio for over a
>> year!

>Somebody thought that you might be fibbing about the news, they claimed
>that you had a bad relationship with them.  I did not know if it was true
>or not, so I pointed out that I had a different source.  Notice, that I
>didn't criticize you myself since I had no facts.

As an update on the news, I was speaking with an ex-Vmarker last night.
As has been reported here, both the Westborough and San Diego organizations
for Object Studio have been shut down.  Of the employees, one is expected
to be going to Germany to continue development there.  Vmark sent a letter
to stockholders telling them that this move would improve the quality and
timeliness of the Object Studio releases.  I'll believe it when I see it.

As for Jeff Sutherland, rumor has it that he is now VP of Engineering for
some internet startup (who's name escapes me).

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MRC Partners

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get me
-------------------------------------------------------------------------



Tue, 01 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Re?2?: Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

2. Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?

3. Availabilty ads sign of health or strength?

4. Ada95 Strengths/Weaknesses.

5. Syntax alterability, strength or weakness? (was: What good is it?)

6. ANSI CLISP: strengths vs. weaknesses?

7. Good Sign or Bad Sign?

8. Interactive Eiffel 2.3 availablity update

9. Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

10. MASM or TASM availablity

11. EventMessageSend weakness

12. Constness in languages (Re: java weaknesses and peculiararities)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software