Lost namespace
Author Message
 Lost namespace

As a Smalltalk beginner I'd like to get help with the following problems.
I'm using VW7 non-commercial.

1. Out of curiosity, I have loaded a big parcel (JUN 3D). Now I can refer to
my classes only by using the Root namespace
    qualifier, like Root.MyClass. Is it the parcel that has caused this?
2. Does placing a class in a namespace slow down method access?
3. Using Hungarian locale, some of the accented letters appear as a black
box within any of the input areas.
    Is there any way to correct it?

Thanks for any help,

Kroly

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:57:35 GMT
[...]

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Lost namespace

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:33:04 GMT
 Lost namespace

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Lost namespace

Quote:

> As a Smalltalk beginner I'd like to get help with the following problems.
> I'm using VW7 non-commercial.

> 1. Out of curiosity, I have loaded a big parcel (JUN 3D). Now I can refer to
> my classes only by using the Root namespace
>     qualifier, like Root.MyClass. Is it the parcel that has caused this?

Jun does add an import to Smalltalk but (at least looking at the 7.1
code) it looks fine.  See Jun.JunSystem class>>#postLoadParcel: which
contains

    Compiler evaluate: 'Smalltalk addImport: (GeneralNameSpaceImport
path: #(''Jun'' ''*''))'

What does your Smalltalk definition look like?  It should look something
like

    Smalltalk.Root defineNameSpace: #Smalltalk
        private: false
        imports: '
                        Core.*
                        Kernel.*
                        OS.*
                        External.*
                        Graphics.*
                        UI.*
                        Tools.*
                        CraftedSmalltalk.*
                        '
        category: 'System-Name Spaces'

Quote:
> 2. Does placing a class in a namespace slow down method access?

No.  But accessing a class via a dotted reference does.  Make sure your
namespace definitions (or class definitions) have imports that allow you
to directly access your classes.

Quote:
> 3. Using Hungarian locale, some of the accented letters appear as a black
> box within any of the input areas.
>     Is there any way to correct it?

I'm sorry I can't help here.  I'm sure someone else can.

Quote:

> Thanks for any help,

> Kroly

Good luck!
--
_______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:14:43 GMT

1. My three lost names (studying namespaces)

2. newbie lost in namespace

3. Namespaces in Scheme vs. Namespaces in CL.

4. To namespace or not to namespace

5. Problem with using a Namespace variable in another namespace function

6. Importing a Namespace Failing to Import Namespace??

7. Namespace of a namespace question.

8. Namespaces in Scheme vs. Namespaces in CL.

9. BUG/PROBLEM: Tcl8.0b1 namespace children/delete {} in a namespace

10. namespaces and objects (namespace ::<classname>)

11. Lost Lib files - lost source

12. pretty-printing (lose, lose)