VW 1.0b: menu problem (weird!)
Author Message
 VW 1.0b: menu problem (weird!)

Hi! I am supporting a VisualWorks ver 1.0b system that uses pop-up menus
via a right mouse button click. These pop-up menus have been working fine
for over a year until yesterday. One of the users got a new Compaq Deskpro
xl 5100 (Pentium 100). On this machine, pressing the right mouse button
brings up the VisualWorks close menu (relabel as..., refresh, move,
resize, front, back, collapse, close). Also, right clicking anywhere on
the screen (including buttons) brings up this same menu. In the meantime,
all the other users using Compaq Deskpro xl 450's (486 50's) are working
fine. When the other users right click they get the pop-up menus that are
coded in the application and no menu where we did not program one.

These menus are written in code rather than the menu builder because they
provide different options depending on what the user is doing at the time.
I have read the VW 2.0 cookbook chapter on menus and looked at the source
code in our application and everything looks ok to me. However I must
admit I am a self-taught Smalltalker because I got the system when our
only Smalltalk developer left for greener pastures $$$$.

        Thanks in advance for any help or direction you can supply!
                        Bob Walker
                        Snohomish County PUD No. 1
                        Everett, WA

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VW 1.0b: menu problem (weird!)

Quote:
>via a right mouse button click. These pop-up menus have been working fine
>for over a year until yesterday. One of the users got a new Compaq Deskpro
>xl 5100 (Pentium 100). On this machine, pressing the right mouse button
>brings up the VisualWorks close menu (relabel as..., refresh, move,
>resize, front, back, collapse, close). Also, right clicking anywhere on
>the screen (including buttons) brings up this same menu. In the meantime,

Isn't that the famous Pentium left-right bug... <grin>

Seriously, check your mouse setup on the other machine. My guess would
be that it's the difference between two and three button setup.

--
 Alan Knight                | The Object People

 +1 613 225 8812            | Ottawa, Canada, K2C 3N2

Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VW 1.0b: menu problem (weird!)

Quote:

>Hi! I am supporting a VisualWorks ver 1.0b system that uses pop-up menus
>via a right mouse button click. These pop-up menus have been working fine
>for over a year until yesterday. One of the users got a new Compaq Deskpro
>xl 5100 (Pentium 100). On this machine, pressing the right mouse button
>brings up the VisualWorks close menu (relabel as..., refresh, move,
>resize, front, back, collapse, close). Also, right clicking anywhere on
>the screen (including buttons) brings up this same menu. In the meantime,
>all the other users using Compaq Deskpro xl 450's (486 50's) are working
>fine. When the other users right click they get the pop-up menus that are
>coded in the application and no menu where we did not program one.

I don't know if I can solve this problem for you, but I might be able
too give you some useful information. The original version of
Smalltalk-80 developed back at Xerox used a three button mouse.  The
buttons were code named red (left), yellow (middle) and blue (right).
The red button was used for moving the cursor, selecting buttons,
list boxes, etc.  The yellow button was for context sensitive menus.
The blue button was used for window commands like relabel, refresh,
move, etc.

In VisualWorks, these three button types still exist.  Normally with a
two-button mouse, the right button becomes the yellow button and the
blue button menu is available by CTRL-right-mouse-button.  I suspect
that on this particular system, the yellow and blue buttons have been
reversed.  Try pressing CTRL while you click the right mouse button to
see if the yellow button menu appears.

David Buck

_________________________________
| David K. Buck                 |

| The Object People             |
|_______________________________|

Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with Menu in VW 7.1

2. VW 7 under Linux: menu hotkey problem

3. Green Background in VW 1.0B/OW 4.1 on HPUX 9.05

4. GPF in VW 1.0b for Windows

5. ANNOUNCE: Operating-Menu (OpMenu) 1.0b is out

6. Weird menu behaviour

7. VW - Win95 menu?

8. VA3.0b - NT-3.11 DLL choice problem

9. i have problem with Clarion 4.0b

10. Menus on Read only in VW?

11. VW 1.0 Help with more generalized menus

12. Eten Chinese System 3.52, Clipper 5.2e, Exospace 1.0g, Clipper Tools 3.0b Problem