A whole slew of Mac questions for VisualWorks 1.0
Author Message
 A whole slew of Mac questions for VisualWorks 1.0

VisualWorks 1.0

The <tab> order when ported to a Macintosh doesn't retain its Windows
default behavior. Windows that include <buttons> in tab lists work as
expected under Windows; under MacOS the buttons are never included in
the user behavior; i.e. <tab> cycles on non-button components only.

    Any ideas?

******************

The ParcPlace-provided file, MacExtra.St was filed in.

What changes are needed to make MacOSFilename the workable concrete subclass
for Filename on Macintosh platforms?

--------- MacExtra question 1 ----------
After noting that instance creations on the class MacOSFilename
returned objects that generate stack dumps upon inspecting 'self'
(failure in asString thread from primitive with invalid argument.),
we did the following:

    1. Filename hookUpFor: With:    was modified to recognize MacOSFilename
                                    as the defaultClass.
    2. OSHandle forceHookup         was executed.

At this point greater difficulties  were encountered. Specifically, the
volumeReference instance var for class MacOSFilename is not set at creation
time. The result is that it isn't possible to use any methods that call
primitives; they're all expecting a volumeReference?

    Is this understandable? Is it correct? Should the hookUpFor: With: method
    have been changed? Is OSHandle forceHookup the proper means of
    instantiating the change?

NOTE: MacOSFilename getFileTypes:nil
    does return a complete MacOSFilename object. I'm presuming the
    getFileTypes primitive creates a 'more?' complete MacOSFilename.

-------- MacExtra question 2 --------
Is there a primitive for returning an object corresponding to the Mac Toolbox
FSSpec type?  If not, is there a primitve that will return the directory ID
that would populate such a FSSpec?

-------- MacExtra question 3 --------
Are supplied primitives for developer use? If so, is there a platform listing
of calling mechanisms?

Thanks much.

Sincerely,

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 23:50:00 GMT
 A whole slew of Mac questions for VisualWorks 1.0

Quote:
>VisualWorks 1.0

>The <tab> order when ported to a Macintosh doesn't retain its Windows
>default behavior. Windows that include <buttons> in tab lists work as
>expected under Windows; under MacOS the buttons are never included in
>the user behavior; i.e. <tab> cycles on non-button components only.

>    Any ideas?

This is per the Macintosh interface guidelines.

Regards,

Dave

**************************************
"I'm sure it's a bug in our software,
    but let's explore some other possibilities..."

David Buell
VP, Product Engineering
(aka SmalltalkAgents Customer Advocate)
Quasar Knowledge Systems (QKS)
9818 Parkwood Drive, Bethesda, MD 20814

Tel: (301) 530-4853 Fax: (301) 530-5712
**************************************

Sun, 16 Feb 1997 05:55:31 GMT
 A whole slew of Mac questions for VisualWorks 1.0

:
: Sorry, I'm (fortunately?) not a Windows user: What should it mean to <tab>
: through buttons? Are the buttons cyclically _activated_ by pressing <tab>?
: (...shudder... seems to me a bit of a quite insecure interaction technique:
: imagine the "Big Red Button" is the next in the sequence when the user
: doesn't expect it... I'm glad that there's no such thing in the Mac user
: interface guidelines!)

Not *activated* (pressed), of course, just highlighted: provides a
selection cue (a dotted frame around the button text). This indicates
that the input focus is set on the button and if you press Space now
the button will eventually be pressed. Also, this button becomes the
default one--it means that pressing Enter will result in pressing the
button as well. (There can be one dedicated "default" button in a
Windows dialog--it means that pressing Enter will result in pressing
this button even if the button does not have keyboard focus).

All this appeared because of intention to make it possible to work in
Windows without a pointing device.

    Vassili

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:11:54 GMT

1. VisualWorks 1.0 Question

2. VRML 1.0 (Live3D/Mac) Questions

3. ANNOUNCE: mkWidgets 1.3, mkHttpd 1.0, mkTulip 1.0, mkZiplib 1.0, mkGeneric 1.3

4. PostgreSQL for VisualWorks 1.0 011

5. Sybase + VisualWorks 1.0 -> 2.0 = frozen image

6. BUG/PROBLEM in VisualWorks 1.0 and 2.0

7. Looking For An MPEG-Player For VisualWorks 1.0

8. Does Visualworks 1.0 run under OS/2 Warp?

9. QUERY: About BOSS for VisualWorks 1.0 (PP)

10. Memory in VisualWorks 1.0

11. WTB: VisualWorks 1.0 for NextStep

12. Keeping a Button Depressed in VisualWorks 1.0