st80 and MS Windows 3.1
Author Message
 st80 and MS Windows 3.1

Hello,

I just installed st80 4.0 under MS Windows 3.1. Apart from the fact
that i can't seem to get the stuff running via an icon, i have got a
major problem with the fonts. The default font ST80 chooses is
unreadable. Browsing through the source of some of the methods gives
me some idea of the working of the Character system, but not enough to
fix the poblem (i know, i'am not to bright).
The INSTALLATION Workspace only lets you edit the size
of the default font, not the font family.

Any clues ?

Jan

-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --
--
Jan van Oorschot

Wed, 07 Sep 1994 04:03:39 GMT
 st80 and MS Windows 3.1
My sales rep at ParcPlace told me that ST80 4.0 will not run properly
under Win 3.1.  She didn't tell me what the problems were, and I'm not
a Win 3.1 beta tester.  However, she did say that ST80 4.1, when it
comes out, will run under both Win 3.0 and 3.1.

Regarding fonts: I just installed ST80 4.0 on a Win 3.0 machine and
got a very poor default font too, at least for my monitor and video
card.  Version 4.0 has a fair amount of low level font machinery,
mostly in the DeviceFont class, but does not make this machinery
readily accessable.  I get the impression that ParcPlace had planned
to do so but didn't get around to it before releasing version 4.0.
The underlying problem is that ST80 must be portable with respect to
Win, Mac, and Unix/X Window.  On a given machine running any of these
operating systems, it cannot be known in advance which fonts are
installed.  Moreover, each OS uses a different technique for
describing fonts.  So ST80 has to map a portable font description onto
an actual font that is OS-specific and font-inventory-specific.

This is roughly what happens according to my understanding--someone
please correct me if necessary.  (1) When the image is started, the
class variables of DeviceFont get initialized.  For example, AllFonts
is loaded with FontDescriptions of all accessable fonts and Fonts is
loaded those MSWindowsFonts representing the default font and perhaps
a few others.  (2) When Smalltalk is called on to display something
satisfying a particular FontDescription, it matches this description
as best it can to the currently loaded fonts (in the Fonts class var)
and to the inventory of all accessable font descriptions (in the
AllFonts class var) using the class method <DeviceFont
searchForFont:allowance:>. It then displays the resulting font.  (3)
The default font itself is initialized in the last line of the class
method <DeviceFont install>.

With some work, you should be able to access any font available in
Windows.  You will need to add some methods, mainly to DeviceFont, and
perhaps modify some of its methods as well.  For example, look at the
implementation of the class method <MSWindowsFont findDefaultFontName>.
It simply returns the first font in the AllFonts class variable of
DeviceFont!  Not very interesting.  Win 3.0 itself provides very
limited support for fonts.  Add-ons such as Adobe Type Manager (or
Bitstream's Facelift?) rectify this.  Win 3.1 will have built in
support for scalable True Type fonts.  I would have preferred for
Microsoft and Apple to go with postscript as their standard, as IBM is
doing with OS/2 2.0 and some Unix vendors are doing.  Oh, well, I
guess Apple is bundling True Type now and will bundle PostScript as
well in the future, while Microsoft will continue to try to take over
another part of the world.
* Bruce Samuelson       Department of Linguistics        *

Fri, 09 Sep 1994 22:23:12 GMT
 st80 and MS Windows 3.1
I'll answer my own question about combining Windows 3.1 with St80 4.0.
It works fine (until now anyway).
The font problem was fixed by editing the class message 'initialize'
in the class MSWindowsFont. I'am using a True Type font called arial
and it looks real good.
The starting of the program was done by editing the icon 'command
line' and adding the image file name. I was trying to do the same
thing with the .pif editor.

--
Jan van Oorschot
--

Sat, 10 Sep 1994 04:05:59 GMT
 st80 and MS Windows 3.1
|> My sales rep at ParcPlace told me that ST80 4.0 will not run properly
|> under Win 3.1.  She didn't tell me what the problems were, and I'm not
|> a Win 3.1 beta tester.  However, she did say that ST80 4.1, when it
|> comes out, will run under both Win 3.0 and 3.1.

(...)

Does anybody know whether ST-80 v2.5 will work under Windows 3.1 ?

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 9K36, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej

Sun, 11 Sep 1994 01:51:29 GMT
 st80 and MS Windows 3.1

Quote:
>My sales rep at ParcPlace told me that ST80 4.0 will not run properly
>under Win 3.1.  She didn't tell me what the problems were, and I'm not
>a Win 3.1 beta tester.  However, she did say that ST80 4.1, when it
>comes out, will run under both Win 3.0 and 3.1.
>Regarding fonts: I just installed ST80 4.0 on a Win 3.0 machine and
>got a very poor default font too, at least for my monitor and video
>card.  Version 4.0 has a fair amount of low level font machinery,

While Objectworks\Smalltalk, Release 4.0, for the PC does not support
Microsoft Windows 3.1 (it was developed under Windows 3.0), Release 4.1
does support Windows 3.1.

If you need to run Release 4.0 under Windows 3.1, be aware of two known
problems.

The first involves the fonts that Smalltalk chooses.  Microsoft changed
names of fonts and as a result, Release 4.0 comes up using stroked
fonts that are difficult to read, especially on low resolution
displays.  A fix that addresses most of the causes of that problem is
to replace MSWindowsFont class>>initialize with the following:

!MSWindowsFont class methodsFor: 'class initialization'!

initialize
        "MSWindowsFont initialize."

        KnownSerifFamilies := #('tms rmn' 'times' 'roman' 'courier'
        'ms serif' 'courier new' 'times new roman' ) asSet.
        KnownSansSerifFamilies := #('system' 'helv' 'helvetica' 'modern'
        'terminal' 'ms sans serif' 'arial' ) asSet.
        KnownFixedWidthFamilies := #('terminal' 'courier' 'fixedsys' ) asSet! !

After replacing it, evaluate the following expression:

    MSWindowsFont initialize.

Save the image and then restart it.

Depending on what display adapter you are using, Release 4.1 may also
experience font problems. Replace MSWindowsFont class>>initialize as
described and evaluate the following expressions:

    MSWindowsFont initialize.
    Screen default installFontPolicy.

Then save the image.

The second problem occurs when collapsing a window into an icon.  It
is likely that only the label will be displayed and not the icon.  You
can still drag it around and treat it as an icon, but you will not be
able to see it.  There is no workaround for this problem.
--

ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

Wed, 14 Sep 1994 09:43:25 GMT

1. REXX for MS Windows 3.1 or MS WfWG 3.11

2. ST80/R4.0 on Windows 3.1

3. Problems with tiled Windows under MS-Windows 3.1

4. Forth for MS Windows 3.1

5. Oberon for MS-Windows 3.1?????

6. Problem with installing MIT Scheme under MS Windows 3.1

7. A86 and MS Windows 3.1

8. Tcl/TK for MS-Windows (3.1/95)

9. Missing errors to standard output from wish under MS-Windows 3.1 with Win32S

10. Tcl/Tk and MS-Windows 3.1

11. TK for MS Windows 3.1

12. ANNOUNCE: TK for MS Windows 3.1