Trying to control QuickTime movies with Smalltalk
Author Message
 Trying to control QuickTime movies with Smalltalk

Hi all,

I'mm having a little problem getting Smalltalk to control a Quicktime movie.
My biggest problem is in memory management.  In order to maintain a movie in
memory between calls from Smalltalk primitives, I put the movie on the heap.
The Smalltalk docs don't explain how to return the address of a structure to and
from Smalltalk code so it'ss the best I could come up with.  But this cereates
a problem: although I free the heap every time, I end up losing between 50 and
70K from the heap after I open, play, close and dispose a movie.  Trying to
find the problem, I finally pinpointed it to part where I play the movie.  It
seems to me that using LoadMovieFromHandle() eats a lot of heap memory and
FreeHandle doesn't free it properly.  So my question is this:

Is there a better way to maintain the movie in memory, that doesn't eat up a
lot of memory on the heap?

Should I even be trying to use the heap for this?  I know absolutely nothing
about Macs and I'm having a hard time finding my way through the system
Documentation (hasn't anyone at Apple heard about alphabetical ordering and
indexing?  Sheesh!).

For the Smalltalk programmers: how can I allocate memory in a primitive call
and keep that memory intact between primitive calls?

Any help on the subject will be IMMENSELY appreciated.

--
Laurent Duperval, B. Sc.  | The opinions expressed herein do not
                          | represent those of this establishment.

Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:24:45 GMT

1. Quicktime movie volume?

2. Quicktime (zoom illusion with a movie)

3. Quicktime movies and compilation

4. Creating QuickTime movies with EditableMovie

5. Quicktime Editable Movie

6. Dynamic Languages Wizards Panel, 20Mar01, QuickTime Streamed Movie

7. MPEG/AVI/Quicktime movie from a VRML session?

8. quicktime controls

9. How do I implement Quicktime ActiveX control?

10. mp3 and movie player control

11. Controlling Movie texture

12. try gfdg try kuiou try gsdfas try