Dani
--
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~daniel.megert

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:22:34 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual
There's no ANSI book like the C one - true.  But it wouldn't be all that
useful, either.  There are a variety of fine books that delve into the
various dialects very nicely.
Quote:

>>>I'm looking for a book that does for ANSI Smalltalk what Harbison and
>>>Steele's classic "C: A Reference Manual" did for ANSI C.  I.e. I am
>>>looking for a complete and lucid reference manual for ANSI Smalltalk.
>>>Is there such a beast?  (I've tried reading the Smalltalk ANSI

>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>>standard, but I find it pretty much impenetrable.)

>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>Checkout: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/172

> That's where I found the nearly impenetrable Smalltalk ANSI standard.
> My original post specifically states that I'm interested in something
> else.

> It is truly amazing to me (and saddening) that no human-readable
> reference work for ANSI Smalltalk exists (judging from searches in
> Google and Amazon).  It says much about Smalltalk and its prospects,
> and that's disheartening.

> KJ

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:06:31 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual
There's pros and cons.  Some dialects focus on a single platform -
ObjectStudio, Dolphin, MT.  Others focus on cross platform (VW, VA,
Smalltalk/X).  VW focuses on binary portability, VA on source
portability and tying into IBM standards.
Quote:

>>There's no ANSI book like the C one - true.  But it wouldn't be all that
>>useful, either.  There are a variety of fine books that delve into the
>>various dialects very nicely.

> That's precisely what I find discouraging about Smalltalk.  I think
> Smalltalk is a great computer language, but when it comes to computer
> languages (as opposed to spoken languages) I don't like this business
> of dialects one bit.  We desperately need standards.  We already waste
> a *HUGE* fraction of our work time dealing with software and hardware
> compatibility problems.  In the computer-related fields, we are at the
> stage that Europe was before the invention of the metric system, when
> one of the biggest barrier to trade was the crazy quilt of measurement
> systems.  It's insane.

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:15:34 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual

Quote:

> Checkout: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/172

Can other people actually read this?  I don't mean the quality of the
document, but the PDF itself is broken.  I get complaints from xpdf,
gv, and acrobat reader -- complaints are okay, complaints and no
content aren't.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:03:03 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual

Quote:

>> Checkout: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/172

> Can other people actually read this?  I don't mean the quality of the
> document, but the PDF itself is broken.  I get complaints from xpdf,
> gv, and acrobat reader -- complaints are okay, complaints and no
> content aren't.

I cannot read this with Acrobat 3.0.  It opens, but I
cannot read it due to the errors.

--
Terry
Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package

http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:16:44 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual
I cannot read it too with Acrobat Reader 4.0.

Quote:

> > Checkout: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/172

> Can other people actually read this?  I don't mean the quality of the
> document, but the PDF itself is broken.  I get complaints from xpdf,
> gv, and acrobat reader -- complaints are okay, complaints and no
> content aren't.

> --
>            /|_     .-----------------------.
>          ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
>      ,--'    _,'   | Wage class war!       |
>     /       /      `-----------------------'
>    (   -.  |
>    |     ) |
>   (`-.  '--.)
>    `. )----'

stefan boiadjiev

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:31:00 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual
I just tried it with Acrobat 4.0 and it also received errors.

--
.tom

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:23:26 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual

Quote:

> I just tried it with Acrobat 4.0 and it also received errors.

The file has obviously been damaged before uploading to the Swiki.
It contains CR-LF pairs where correct PDF files would have CR only.
Just eliminating the LF charactsr is not an option, because they are
valid in some places in PDF docs. I don't know whether a tool which
knows about the PDF structure might be able to fix it.
Acroread at least can't although it tries.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:55:35 GMT
 ISO Smalltalk reference manual
I have found an HTML version of draft ANSI Smalltalk Standart - v1.9 at:
http://www.math.rsu.ru/smalltalk/standard/index.html
Not in one page, but usable.
It looks like it is a mirror of a http://www.stic.org/STLang/F002.htm, the
broken link.

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Ivaylo Mutafchiev

Quote:

writes:

> >>Checkout: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/172

> > That's where I found the nearly impenetrable Smalltalk ANSI standard.
> > My original post specifically states that I'm interested in something
> > else.

> > It is truly amazing to me (and saddening) that no human-readable
> > reference work for ANSI Smalltalk exists (judging from searches in
> > Google and Amazon).  It says much about Smalltalk and its prospects,
> > and that's disheartening.

> > KJ

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:43:39 GMT

1. Ada 9X Reference Manual submitted to ISO

2. looking for smalltalk reference,manual,tutorial

3. ISO: Technical references/expertise/assistance to add X input method support to Solaris

4. Reference/Location of ANSI Smalltalk Reference

5. Major disappointment with C5 reference manuals...

6. Where do i find reference manual about ShellExecute

7. Online Reference Manual?

8. Book announcement - Eiffel Reference Manual

9. Good Forth Language Reference Manuals????

10. Reference Manual

11. Quick Reference Manual??

12. Logo Reference Manual on-line?