stack size parameter?
Author Message
 stack size parameter?

Hello all!

One of our clients has a VA402+Gemstone app running on NT that will
crash on some machines.

The software on the machines is identical but there is a slight
variation in memory size, NT reports about 80M on those that crash and
92M on the ones that run properly.

All machines happen to have a de{*filter*} active ('quincy' that comes with
Lotus Notes) so I have the 'luxury' of getting a debug log without
changing the installation.

The de{*filter*} reports a stack overflow (exception 0xC00000FD) while
executing code in gcilw51.dll.
Since the stack is broken I don't get a walkback, but the de{*filter*}
reports the following modules to be active:
 (theVAapplication).exe
 gcilw51.dll
 gsw51.dll
 ESVM40.dll
 msafd.dbg
 ws2_32.dbg
 kernel32.dbg
 ntdll.dbg

-- Are there any known issues with dll versions?

I have been looking in the VA documentation for a command-line paramater
to manipulate the stack-size, but couldn't find one.

-- does anybody know how I can manipulate the stack size?

Since the de{*filter*} 'freezes' the application after an error the Gemstone
server locks up, only after the application is terminated will the
server continue normally. Our client will not consider deactivating the
de{*filter*} (for policy reasons), but I would like to have the VA app
'crash normally' for the moment, rather than freezing everybody.

-- Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Reinout Heeck
-------------

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 stack size parameter?
Hi Reinout,

the only way I know to change the stack size of VA is to relink the exe
(abt.exe or nodialog.exe); there is a stack size parameter that you need
to supply.  We had to do this a while back because we were also getting
stack overflows on NT.

BUT I think that newer versions of GemBuilder come with a modified
abt.exe already.

Normand

Quote:
> Hello all!

> One of our clients has a VA402+Gemstone app running on NT that will
> crash on some machines.

> The software on the machines is identical but there is a slight
> variation in memory size, NT reports about 80M on those that crash and
> 92M on the ones that run properly.

> All machines happen to have a de{*filter*} active ('quincy' that comes
with
> Lotus Notes) so I have the 'luxury' of getting a debug log without
> changing the installation.

> The de{*filter*} reports a stack overflow (exception 0xC00000FD) while
> executing code in gcilw51.dll.
> Since the stack is broken I don't get a walkback, but the de{*filter*}
> reports the following modules to be active:
>  (theVAapplication).exe
>  gcilw51.dll
>  gsw51.dll
>  ESVM40.dll
>  msafd.dbg
>  ws2_32.dbg
>  kernel32.dbg
>  ntdll.dbg

> -- Are there any known issues with dll versions?

> I have been looking in the VA documentation for a command-line
paramater
> to manipulate the stack-size, but couldn't find one.

> -- does anybody know how I can manipulate the stack size?

> Since the de{*filter*} 'freezes' the application after an error the
Gemstone
> server locks up, only after the application is terminated will the
> server continue normally. Our client will not consider deactivating
the
> de{*filter*} (for policy reasons), but I would like to have the VA app
> 'crash normally' for the moment, rather than freezing everybody.

> -- Any suggestions?

> Thanks a lot!

> Reinout Heeck
> -------------

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. FORTH Kernel Design -- Parameter Stack Size?

2. Regex, stack overflow, and adjusting stack size

3. Stack overflow problem but increasing stack size does not solve the problem

4. Using the stack to pass parameters.

5. Passing Parameters Using the Stack

6. TCL parameters on the "C" stack

7. Passing multiple parameters up the stack?

8. Changing the stack allocation size

9. Stack size

10. Stack size field

11. Stack size

12. Help - is there any way of increasing the stack size in Smalltalk