Blue Screen Crash with Dolphin
Author Message
 Blue Screen Crash with Dolphin

Andy,

here is one for the Dolphin archives...

Running on a Gateway Flat Screen system with NT 4.0, I was getting
repeated blue screen system crashes.  message referred to
some memory address in ATIRAGE.DLL.  (it didn't always fail, especially
if there was other stuff running...but we had a sequence where rebooting
and
bringing up dolphin crashed the system consistently every time).

we went to gateway's website and downloaded the latest video driver
and had the same result.  ultimately we fixed the problem
by changing the 'colors' display setting.  (i think we ended up with
'true color' to solve the problem).

Just wanted to pass this along in case others have the same problem.

Thanks,
Steve Geringer

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:28:30 GMT
 Blue Screen Crash with Dolphin
Steve,

Quote:
> Running on a Gateway Flat Screen system with NT 4.0, I was getting
> repeated blue screen system crashes.  message referred to
> some memory address in ATIRAGE.DLL.  (it didn't always fail, especially
> if there was other stuff running...

I sometimes install ATI products (just bought an XPERT 98 two days ago in
fact), but, I've never been a big fan.  When a friend of mine was running a
newly-released Win 3.x, he installed an ATI card, and they saw fit to change
all of the system menus to their white on red logo - pretty obnoxious.

If NT blue screens, it's usually a bad driver.  Somebody here told me that
not too long ago, and it seems to hold up.  I _think_ the vendor found and
fixed the problem I was having.  So far, I have been able to reproduce the
failure with the old driver, and will soon install the new driver to see if
it fixes it (I suspect it will).

Quote:
> but we had a sequence where rebooting
> and
> bringing up dolphin crashed the system consistently every time).

Was Dolphin loading any ActiveX and/or multi-media stuff on startup?  My
newly-installed XPERT has a "device driver" that wants 100 MB or something
ridiculous like that; I managed to avoid installing a lot of it (multimedia
tools), but, somewhere there was a caution about using the same CD to
install the driver as the other stuff, so you might have a mismatch???

Good luck with it.

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:51:34 GMT

1. blue blue blue people

2. Blue screen, and a fix

3. Screen Ficker Blues....

4. NT Blue Screen of Death

5. Win98 and Blue Screen ... Locked Machine

6. code blue screens computer

7. blue screen

8. VideoCapture 0.7 causes Blue Screens on W2k Prof.

9. Dolphin Crash, any idea ?

10. BUG: DialogView mutation to a ShellView crashes Dolphin...

11. Dolphin Crash

12. Dolphin 3 crashes on startup