Model-View-Controller concepts...
Author Message
 Model-View-Controller concepts...

Quote:

> I've heard a bit about an application design metaphor called the
> "Model-View-Controller" architecture.  I've only a read a very little
> about this, but enough to become interested.

> Can anyone recommend some reading on this topic?

> Thanks!

Journal of object-oriented volume #1, number #3.

A book by Ph. Krief on prototyping gives a VERY GOOD look at the MVC
paradigm in Smalltalk.

Francois Rousseau
Universite de Montreal
reflexion with ClassTalk

Thu, 25 Jul 1996 02:53:33 GMT
 Model-View-Controller concepts...

Quote:

>I've heard a bit about an application design metaphor called the
>"Model-View-Controller" architecture.  I've only a read a very little
>about this, but enough to become interested.

>Can anyone recommend some reading on this topic?

>Thanks!

I have found some references to this paper, but I did not read it myself
since I still haven't been able to track it down. Maybe you are luckier
than I am ?

Kransner, G.E. / Pope, S. T.
"Cookbook for using the Model-View-Controller User Interface paradigm"
Journal of Object Oriented Programming, August 1988, p. 26-49

Sat, 27 Jul 1996 18:54:55 GMT
 Model-View-Controller concepts...

Quote:

>>I've heard a bit about an application design metaphor called the
>>"Model-View-Controller" architecture.  I've only a read a very little
>>about this, but enough to become interested.

>>Can anyone recommend some reading on this topic?

>>Thanks!

>I have found some references to this paper, but I did not read it myself
>since I still haven't been able to track it down. Maybe you are luckier
>than I am ?

>Kransner, G.E. / Pope, S. T.
>"Cookbook for using the Model-View-Controller User Interface paradigm"
>Journal of Object Oriented Programming, August 1988, p. 26-49

Try to pose article on 'comp.lang.smalltalk' group.  You might get
more  responses.

Basically, MVC(Model-View-Controller) came from (I just forget his name)
Norrwegian Smalltalk group circa 79-81 which was incorporated into
initial Smalltalk release.

It was primary design for simulation environment since Norwegian
had long history of simulation work (ex: Simula).

Model - Domain in which you are  interested.  ex: finacial model,
         CAD objects, etc:
View -  a specific view (graphical representation) of the model.
        For example, you might interested in pie  chart view
        or histogram view.  Key thing is that you can have multiple view
        of the Model.
Controller -  User interface (mouse/keyboard) of the view.

Thus MVC form a non-symmertrical triad.    View and controller form
tight coupling .  each can refer to each other directly.  They can
also refere to model.   The Modle however doesn't refer to View or
controller directly since you might have more than 1 view.

The model communicate changes to views by use of "dependecies".
When a view is created for a model, it become dependent of a model.
model then use of method "self changed: #event" which broadcast
the event to all other dependents:  Each view then check to see given
event should be handled by it self.

One of known tutorial is from Tek Smalltalk group.  Alas, it is now defunct
I also believe ICPack201 is based on MVC(someone correct me on this).
You might try stepstone or parplace for any of their paper.

Mon, 29 Jul 1996 02:36:27 GMT

1. Is the Model-View-Controller concept good?

2. C++/Views: A Model-View-Controller Library for C++

3. Looking for implementation info on Composite Model-View-Controller architecture

4. Model View Controller

5. Model View Controller

6. Looking for info about Model-View-Controller paradigm

7. Model View Controller and Ada 95

8. Model-View-Controller

9. The origin of Model-View-Controller

10. model-view-controller info