Implementing questionaires in ST80 r4.1
Author Message
 Implementing questionaires in ST80 r4.1

I would like to implement a generic questionaire window in Smalltalk 80
to resemble the following

           _____________
Question 1:|Answer     |
           -------------
           ____________
Question 2:|Answer2   |
           ------------
.
.
etc
.
.

Where the user can change the answers provided. There isn't a window like
this already in Smalltalk that I could find. I figured that to impelement
this myself, I would have to use TextViews to provide the answer facility.
Unfortunately doing it this way causes some unwanted side effects and
potential problems. For example: no way to assign names to a TextView so
that I can access the contents the view specifically, unwanted controller
functions etc. Is there an easy way to accomplish this without doing a
major rewrite of some the windowing classes? I would like to know before
I am forced to embark on such an endeavor.

Thanks
Peter

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:51:50 GMT
 Implementing questionaires in ST80 r4.1

Quote:

> I would like to implement a generic questionaire window in Smalltalk 80
> to resemble the following

>            _____________
> Question 1:|Answer     |
>            -------------
>            ____________
> Question 2:|Answer2   |
>            ------------
> .
> .
> etc
> .
> .

> Where the user can change the answers provided. There isn't a window like
> this already in Smalltalk that I could find...<stuff deleted>

Too bad you're not using Smalltalk/V! <grin>

Seriously, this is a piece of cake in /V for OS/2 or Windoze.  Not being
a ST-80 user myself, I'd be interested in learning whether this kind of
application is a major pain for ST-80 users....

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:18:24 GMT
 Implementing questionaires in ST80 r4.1

Quote:
>I would like to implement a generic questionaire window in Smalltalk 80
>to resemble the following
>           _____________
>Question 1:|Answer     |
>           -------------
>           ____________
>Question 2:|Answer2   |
>           ------------
>.
>.
>etc
>.
>.

Take a look at the VisualWorks tools. One of their windows (the options,
I think) implements a scrolling view of a bunch of different subviews.
As with all VisualWorks tools, you can refer to each component by a
logical name, and you have some control over what gets typed in each
input field.

 2

Sat, 28 Oct 1995 01:13:19 GMT

1. flexible windows in st80-R4.1 (ParkPlace)

2. Profiling/tuning ST80 R4.1 code

3. Representing Floating Numbers as Strings in ST80 R4.0

4. Tiny goodie for ST80 R4

5. ST80/R4.0 on Windows 3.1

6. ST80-R4 User Primitive Questions

7. HELP : Graphics in ST80 r4 Windows !!

8. interface builders for pp st80 r4 ?

9. ST80-R4 and OS/2

10. ST80 R4, Motif and RS/6000

11. ST80 R4, WIN 3.0 and TCP/IP