Multi-threading?
Author Message
 Multi-threading?

Any way to use genuine OS threads in Dolphin? I have an application using
some of the MS WNet* networking functions, and some of them can take a long
time (10-20 seconds) to return, during which time the application is
completely unresponsive. In C applications I spawn these calls in a separate
background thread using _beginthreadex so that the user interface doesn't
appear hung. Can I do this in Dolphin?

Nick

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:12:31 GMT
 Multi-threading?
Nick,

Quote:
> Any way to use genuine OS threads in Dolphin? I have an application using
> some of the MS WNet* networking functions, and some of them can take a
long
> time (10-20 seconds) to return, during which time the application is
> completely unresponsive. In C applications I spawn these calls in a
separate
> background thread using _beginthreadex so that the user interface doesn't
> appear hung. Can I do this in Dolphin?

Try defining the external DLL calls as being overlapped (that is, they run
on a separate thread started automatically inside the VM). See the Education
Centre topic at:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/overlappedcalls.htm

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:25:45 GMT

1. Multi-threaded / multi-processor CL ?

2. Multi-threading on Multi-CPU machines

3. User Interface single or multi threaded

4. Multi-threading

5. API calls inseparate threads? (Was: Re: Multithreading) (fwd)

6. Is, Eiffel multi-threaded yet ?

7. Failure multi-thread

8. multi-threaded forth?

9. Win95 multi-thread problem

10. high-speed software timing and multi-threading

11. when can multi threading not be used

12. I don't want Multi-Thread How ???