Runtime version string
Author Message
 Runtime version string

We're trying to create an about box for our app, and would like to
automatically have the current version of the application displayed in
it. The #signature and #versionName methods don't seem to work; they
appears to rely on information stored in the library, which of course is
not available at runtime. Does anyone know a way of doing this without
having to edit the class for every release. This is especially
bothersome during frequent alpha & beta releases.

Thanks,
Ken

Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Runtime version string

Quote:

> We're trying to create an about box for our app, and would like to
> automatically have the current version of the application displayed in
> it. The #signature and #versionName methods don't seem to work; they
> appears to rely on information stored in the library, which of course is
> not available at runtime. Does anyone know a way of doing this without
> having to edit the class for every release. This is especially
> bothersome during frequent alpha & beta releases.

As part of your image build process, have it output that information to
an external file, such as version.txt.  Then you can just read from that
file at runtime.

Hope this helps,
David
David Whiteman                   Applied Reasoning

919-781-7997                     Raleigh, NC 27612-6344
http://www.arscorp.com

Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Runtime version string

Quote:

> We're trying to create an about box for our app, and would like to
> automatically have the current version of the application displayed in
> it. The #signature and #versionName methods don't seem to work; they
> appears to rely on information stored in the library, which of course is
> not available at runtime. Does anyone know a way of doing this without
> having to edit the class for every release. This is especially
> bothersome during frequent alpha & beta releases.

David Whiteman makes a good suggestion.  Another might be to hook into
the
versioning process to generate a class method on your main application
class,
to hold the version number, before the application actually gets
versioned.
This is, of course, more difficult!

Tony Weddle
PMS Creative

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Runtime version string

<HTML><BODY>

<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt; We're trying to create an about box for our app, and would like
to</I>
<BR><I>&gt; automatically have the current version of the application displayed
in</I>
<BR><I>&gt; it. The #signature and #versionName methods don't seem to work;
they</I>
<BR><I>&gt; appears to rely on information stored in the library, which of
course is</I>
<BR><I>&gt; not available at runtime. Does anyone know a way of doing this
without</I>
<BR><I>&gt; having to edit the class for every release. This is especially</I>
<BR><I>&gt; bothersome during frequent alpha &amp; beta releases.</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR>
<BR>David Whiteman makes a good suggestion.&nbsp; Another might be to hook
into
<BR>the
<BR>versioning process to generate a class method on your main application
<BR>class,
<BR>to hold the version number, before the application actually gets
<BR>versioned.
<BR>This is, of course, more difficult!
<BR>
<BR>Tony Weddle
<BR>PMS Creative
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Kenneth,
<BR>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Good suggestions so far, but the easiest way would be to use
a pre-packinging process (I?believe the packager has several hooks for
this type of thing) to dump the version and signature strings into either
Class variables or a pool dictionary, which can then be referenced from
a method.
<BR>
<BR>&nbsp; Later,
<BR>--&nbsp;
<BR>Steve Whatmore&nbsp;
<BR>Director of Development Services&nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Concentricity Corporation&nbsp;
<BR><A HREF="http://www.concentricity.com">http://www.concentricity.com</A>&nbsp;
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Runtime version string

Quote:
>versioning process to generate a class method on your main application
>class,
>to hold the version number, before the application actually gets
>versioned.
>This is, of course, more difficult!

We do something like this, and go one further.  We make the string have

Afterwards we can find the version of any image sitting around by
running the command:
        % what someImage.im

Cheers,
Kevin
+---------------+-----------------------------------+-------------------------+

+---------------+-----------------------------------+-------------------------+
| You know you have achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing  |
| more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away.                   |
|Java: the elegant simplicity of C++ and the blazing speed of Smalltalk. -J.S.|

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Runtime version string

Quote:

>We're trying to create an about box for our app, and would like to
>automatically have the current version of the application displayed in
>it. The #signature and #versionName methods don't seem to work; they
>appears to rely on information stored in the library, which of course is
>not available at runtime. Does anyone know a way of doing this without
>having to edit the class for every release. This is especially
>bothersome during frequent alpha & beta releases.

How about making a class variable/class instance variable which stores the
information. Before or early in the packaging process, initialize these
variables with the current values from the library (which will still be
available).

--

The Object People                       http://www.objectpeople.com
613.225.8812(v) 613.225.5943(f) Your Smalltalk Experts

"Forget that we know anything about Smalltalk." - Roseanna Marchetti,
    Product Manager for Distributed Computing: ParcPlace-Digitalk.

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to identify VisualAge version at runtime

2. Major Problem With 2.1.2 Runtime Version (Try To Post Again)

3. Major Problem with 2.1.2 Runtime Version

4. Runtime Versions

5. MF Runtime Error 108 using version 3.0.54 Unix

6. Runtime version

7. VSE: Problem with PartsTabControlPage in runtime version

8. Installation of RUNTIME.PM into Smalltalk/V OS/2 version 2.0

9. Runtime Error string.cpp:102

10. Changing Picture string at runtime

11. Need help moving string field using data variable at runtime

12. Create String on report at runtime