VW Gemstone Browser vs. VA Gemstone Browser
Author Message
 VW Gemstone Browser vs. VA Gemstone Browser

Has anyone here noticed how SLOW the Gemstone browser is in VisualAge when
compared with the speed of the browser in VisualWorks?  When I say
speed I am talking about the time it takes to bring up class
methods/protocals when click on a class.  In VisualWorks, it is quite
fast, yet in VisualAge, there is a serious lag.

As an experiment, I put Transcript show: around the basicRemotePerform:
method.  I noticed that when I bring up a Gemstone browser in VA, I get
a ton of these  messages.  It seems to go to Gemstone for every piece of
information.

WHen I do the same thing in VisualWorks, I  do not get any.  Of course, I
may have done something wrong, but this is simple to do so try it out if
like.

The question is this, what does VisualWorks do to make their Gemstone
browser faster, and can we do the same in VisualAge.  I think it would
be pretty simple to extend the current browser in VA to somehow improve
it.

Any insights from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VW Gemstone Browser vs. VA Gemstone Browser

Seems that VA does not use 'reports' (packaged retrieval results) to
bring info in from GS. Or may be anything else.
You must realize adn accept that there are a number of drawbacks in
changing to a ST vendor with not so bad fame.

Quote:

> Has anyone here noticed how SLOW the Gemstone browser is in VisualAge when
> compared with the speed of the browser in VisualWorks?  When I say
> speed I am talking about the time it takes to bring up class
> methods/protocals when click on a class.  In VisualWorks, it is quite
> fast, yet in VisualAge, there is a serious lag.

> As an experiment, I put Transcript show: around the basicRemotePerform:
> method.  I noticed that when I bring up a Gemstone browser in VA, I get
> a ton of these  messages.  It seems to go to Gemstone for every piece of
> information.

> WHen I do the same thing in VisualWorks, I  do not get any.  Of course, I
> may have done something wrong, but this is simple to do so try it out if
> like.

> The question is this, what does VisualWorks do to make their Gemstone
> browser faster, and can we do the same in VisualAge.  I think it would
> be pretty simple to extend the current browser in VA to somehow improve
> it.

> Any insights from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VW Gemstone Browser vs. VA Gemstone Browser

We also noticed that the VA Gemstone browsers are painfully slow.
ny suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Ari Shapiro
:
[...]

1. Browsers, browsers, browsers

2. GemStone - GeODE + VW = ObjectStore + VW ?

3. [VA] VA Process Browser 1.5 Update Available

4. [VA] VA Process Browser 1.4 Update Available

5. [VA] VA SUnit Browser 3.0.1 Update Available

6. [VA] VA Process Browser 1.2 Update Available

7. VA - GemStone Fix

8. US-FL-Sr. Programmer VA/Gemstone

9. US-FL-VA/Gemstone Programmer

10. US-FL-Sr. Programmer VA/Gemstone