How to save Object Instances in text File ?
Author Message
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?

--

Hello,

I am looking for something, like a powerfull customized BOSS, which permits
to save and load a collection of Object Instances, under string or textual forms,
with class, class variable and instance variable names and their instance values,
readable with standard editors outside Smalltalk (?).

Certainly, something like this exist already, but I do not know where or inside
which categories and methods, perhaps near FileIN and FileOut, or may be within
the BOSS possibilities ?

Thank you for any helpfull advice or more detailled answers.

Regards.

Marc

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 00:32:05 GMT
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?

Quote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for something, like a powerfull customized BOSS, which permits
> to save and load a collection of Object Instances, under string or textual forms,
> with class, class variable and instance variable names and their instance values,
> readable with standard editors outside smalltalk (?).
> Certainly, something like this exist already, but I do not know where or inside
> which categories and methods, perhaps near FileIN and FileOut, or may be within
> the BOSS possibilities ?
> Thank you for any helpfull advice or more detailled answers.
> Regards.
> Marc

Mark,
        The Smalltalk messages storeOn: and readFrom: (which are
defined for Object) will do it. The problem, however, is that
you will not be able to strip out the compiler, since these methods
require it's presence. Some classes (Date, Time, etc.) override
these messages and do not requre the compiler presence, and you
can define these methods for your own classes.
        Hope it helps
Regards,'

Vadim Sokolovsky
GreenPoint, Inc

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 01:18:34 GMT
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?

Quote:

>I am looking for something, like a powerfull customized BOSS, which permits
>to save and load a collection of Object Instances, under string or textual forms,
>with class, class variable and instance variable names and their instance values,
>readable with standard editors outside smalltalk (?).

   You may want to try using #storeOn:, or #storeString.  Most basic
Smalltalk objects knows how to generate its own storeString.  Of course,
circular objects can result in infinite loop in generating the
storeString.

   Also, you will need the Smalltalk compiler to compile the storeString
to get back an equivalent object (that generated the storeString.)

Jimmy Nguyen
"Speak for no entity - not even myself.  I just babble..."

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:32:50 GMT
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?

Quote:

> writes:
> I am looking for something, like a powerfull customized BOSS, which permits
> to save and load a collection of Object Instances, under string or textual forms
> ,
> with class, class variable and instance variable names and their instance values
> ,
> readable with standard editors outside smalltalk (?).

> Certainly, something like this exist already, but I do not know where or inside
> which categories and methods, perhaps near FileIN and FileOut, or may be within
> the BOSS possibilities ?

> Thank you for any helpfull advice or more detailled answers.

Look at the methods storeOn: respectively readFrom:!

There are a lot of classes that redefines at least one of these
messages; e.g. Date, Time, Array, Image, Message and String.
Also look at the "default behavior" in the class Object (storeOn:)
and its metaclass (readFrom:).

By looking at these "examples" you should easily get what you want!

Regards,

Bjorn Eiderback

---

   THE ROYAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY     voice: +46 (8) 790 6277
   Department of Numerical Analysis      fax: +46 (8) 102477, 7900930
   and Computing Science
   Osquars backe 2
   S-100 44 Stockholm
   Sweden
---

Sun, 20 Jul 1997 00:49:22 GMT
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?
Quote:
> I am looking for something, like a powerfull customized BOSS, which permits
> to save and load a collection of Object Instances,

There's something called objectfiler in ST/V, from a brief look at the
readme notes it may do what you want (its in the extras direrctory).

Sun, 20 Jul 1997 20:26:29 GMT
 How to save Object Instances in text File ?
Hello,

Thank you very much for the answers about my problem, ...

Looking for a solution with "ObjectFiler", for instance, I have not found from
Where I could retrieve "ObjectFiler" and I do not know if it could be allright for me ?

I am working under Smalltalk 80, Park Place - Visual Works release 4.1, not under ST_V.

Regards,

Marc.

Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:09:18 GMT

1. Saving an Open excel file as a text file

2. Text as instance variable in persitent objects.

3. filing out an instance object in XML format

4. Saving Styled text to Binary File

5. ?-Save selected Record as text file.

6. Saving a Field to a Text File

7. saving text field to a dos file clarion 1.5 user

8. Saving registry-information to a text-file.

9. How do you save output to text file?

10. saving cyrillic text files

11. Saving a text widget to a file

12. Saving text to a file