Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS
Author Message
 Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS

I am working on a new client/server project which uses about 100
Smalltalk clients running against an ODBMS.  Unfortunately, I have the
requirement for an even larger number of  non-object oriented tools
(i.e. VisualBasic, PowerBuilder, Delphi, Excel) to access this
database.

Are there any OLE or OCX third party software packages which can
easily handle the mapping between the object and non-object worlds?

All replies are welcomed.

Advanced Thanks

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS

: Are there any OLE or OCX third party software packages which can
: easily handle the mapping between the object and non-object worlds?

Orbix from Iona technologies will create an OLE server from IDL. Then VB, etc
can connect to that and be routed to your ODBMS.

Other ORB vendors probably have similar functionality

Andy Faibishenko
Metamor Technologies, Ltd.

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.databases.object,comp.lang.smalltalk,comp.object,os.ms-windows.programmer.ole
>Subject: Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS
>Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 02:26:39 GMT

>I am working on a new client/server project which uses about 100
>Smalltalk clients running against an ODBMS.  Unfortunately, I have the
>requirement for an even larger number of  non-object oriented tools
>(i.e. VisualBasic, PowerBuilder, Delphi, Excel) to access this
>database.

>Are there any OLE or OCX third party software packages which can
>easily handle the mapping between the object and non-object worlds?

>All replies are welcomed.

>Advanced Thanks

Objectivity provides support for standard ODBC, including all SQL commands
(select, insert, update, delete, create_table, grant/revoke access at
attribute/method level, etc.).  That will cover at least some of your
needs.  See www.objectivity.com.

regards,
drew

Drew Wade                             Objectivity, Inc.

+1 (415) 254-7100                     Mountain View, CA  94041-1530

+1 (415) 254-7157 fax                 http://www.objectivity.com

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Help - OLE/OCX connection to ODBMS

Quote:
>Are there any OLE or OCX third party software packages which can
>easily handle the mapping between the object and non-object worlds?

Cincom Systems developed an OLE Automation Server to work with the
UniSQL product set. UniSQL also has a VB interface, Smalltalk, C++, C,
and the obvious ODBC interface as well.

-Robert

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help needed with OLE/OCX...

2. help with OLE or OCX

3. OLE/OCX assignment to indexed item of array-type property

4. using ocx/ole & clarion

5. OLE/OCX Blob field ?????

6. Wrapping VA as ActiveX / OCX / OLE Automation

7. Rampant OLE/OCX confusion - CW2.003xxx

8. OLE/OCX question

9. Require info on OCX/OLE programming

10. Objects Ole/Ocx

11. OLE/OCX