Smalltalk V doesn't work
Author Message
 Smalltalk V doesn't work

I am trying to set up an S/V application window with one text pane and
a menu with no labels - i.e. the simplest application you can get which has a
new menu. So, I have OpenText which is a sub-class of ViewManager and an
'open' method in OpenText which has the menu set up line:

self addSubPane:(TextPane new
   when: #getmenu perform: #textMenu:).

textMenu has the text:

textMenu: aPane
   |aMenu|
   aMenu title 'Hello'
   aPane setMenu: aMenu

Any idea why error "textMenu:" not understood? appears on "Do It"
Machine is an Opus Pentium, Smalltalk is 16 bit for Win version 2. Both
open and textMenu are instance methods of OpenText.

Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:29:22 GMT
 Smalltalk V doesn't work

Quote:

> I am trying to set up an S/V application window with one text pane and
> a menu with no labels - i.e. the simplest application you can get which has a
> new menu.
> Machine is an Opus Pentium, Smalltalk is 16 bit for Win version 2.

Here are more details:

 Here is the Workspace "DoIt" text:

OpenText new open.

OpenText is a subclass of ViewManager. It has two instance methods:

**************
open
        self label:'OpenText'
        self addSubPane:
                [TextPane new
                        when:#getMenu perform:#textMenu:].
        self openWindow

**************

textMenu:aPane
        Transcript show:'hello'

**************

textMenu is meant to set up a new menu in the pane, obviously here it is just
testing the method. On DoIt error obtained:

"textMenu:" not understood is obtained.

Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:21:40 GMT
 Smalltalk V doesn't work

Quote:

> > I am trying to set up an S/V application window with one text pane and
> > a menu with no labels - i.e. the simplest application you can get which has
> > new menu.
> > Machine is an Opus Pentium, Smalltalk is 16 bit for Win version 2.

> Here are more details:

>  Here is the Workspace "DoIt" text:

> OpenText new open.

> OpenText is a subclass of ViewManager. It has two instance methods:

> **************
> open
>         self label:'OpenText'
>         self addSubPane:
>                 [TextPane new

     You need to add the following line:

                          owner: self;

Quote:
>                         when:#getMenu perform:#textMenu:].
>         self openWindow

   Without the owner association above, the #textMenu: message is being
sent to the instance of TextPane instead of the instance of OpenText.

> "textMenu:" not understood is obtained.

    Regards,

      |  Jose Fernando Tepedino              |

      |  Departamento de Informatica         |
      |  Universidade Federal de Pernambuco  |
      |  Recife         Brasil               |

Sun, 29 Jun 1997 06:24:32 GMT

1. BLT installs but doesn't work, and TkTable doesn't build

2. EAI works (or doesn't work) differently under different platforms

3. tkman works/doesn't work [hpux9]

4. match works, don't match doesn't

5. Bevel Buttons' icon doesn't work

6. re.LOCALE | re.IGNORECASE doesn't work as you'd expect

7. expect's full_buffer doesn't seem to work

8. [entry]'s -disabledforeground doesn't work

9. += doesn't work in python cgi's

10. tkdesk on fedora core 5 -- doesn't run, doesn't compile

11. WININET doesn't always work

12. Interrupt doesn't work after UI trouble