Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0
Author Message
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Hello,
  I'm having trouble with the right mouse
button on Windows 4.0 when I run VisualWave.
I can't get the Operate menu (Do it, inspect it, etc)
to come up...all I get is the Window menu.
What do I have to do to fix that?? I tried
Control-right mouse button but I can't get
the Operate menu. It is hard to do anything
in Smalltalk if you can't get that menu!

  I can't remember hitting this problem
before on Windows NT...

  Regards,

  Larry Kellogg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Frank,
  Thanks for the reply. I have now tried all
different variations on

[vw.exe]
MouseButtons=3

[vwnt.exe]
[vwave.exe]
[vwave]
[vw]
[vwnt]

all without success. This is driving me crazy.
What do I have to do to get my right mouse button???
I'm running vwave 2.0a...

any other ideas? I even tried some swap code
in the InputState class but that didn't
fix the problem.

  I need to demo this thing in a few days.

  Cheers,

  Larry

Quote:

> >Hello,
> >  I'm having trouble with the right mouse
> >button on Windows 4.0 when I run VisualWave.

> I encountered similar problems using the latest virtual machines on my
> VisualWorks system. I solved the problem by explicetly declaring in the
> win.ini file that I use a three button mouse (as described in the
> documentation).

> Here is what my win.ini says:

> [VWNT.EXE]
> MouseButtons=3

> I hope this helps

> -
> Frank Tonn --- Dare to dream !

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Quote:

>Hello,
>  I'm having trouble with the right mouse
>button on Windows 4.0 when I run VisualWave.

I encountered similar problems using the latest virtual machines on my
VisualWorks system. I solved the problem by explicetly declaring in the
win.ini file that I use a three button mouse (as described in the
documentation).

Here is what my win.ini says:

[VWNT.EXE]
MouseButtons=3

I hope this helps

-
Frank Tonn --- Dare to dream !

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Quote:

>Frank,
>  Thanks for the reply. I have now tried all

[...]

Quote:
>all without success. This is driving me crazy.
>What do I have to do to get my right mouse button???
>I'm running vwave 2.0a...

Upgrade to VM version 2.5.2c. It's available at PP's webserver.
It shouldn't show this behavior anymore. Another possible
solution is to change your mouse driver to the one Microsoft
provided and remove any 3rd party driver.

I'm using 2.5.2c with a logitech 3 button mouse on NT 4.0 without problems.

bye

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Quote:

>Frank,
>  Thanks for the reply. I have now tried all
>different variations on

>[vw.exe]
>MouseButtons=3

>[vwnt.exe]
>[vwave.exe]
>[vwave]
>[vw]
>[vwnt]

>all without success. This is driving me crazy.
>What do I have to do to get my right mouse button???
>I'm running vwave 2.0a...

Sometimes it's the mouse driver.  Way back in VWorks 2.0, we had a rather
entertaining problem on OS/2 with a mouse driver that generated a button3
mouseUp for every button3 mouseDrag.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Ok, the saga continues. I tried the VW 2.52c object engine
but I still can't get the right mouse button to work.
I don't have an Intelli-Mouse...I have a really stupid
two button mouse. I have tried changing the MouseButtons
option in win.ini but without any luck. Does
case matter? [vw] versus [VW] versus [VWAVE] ???
I tried MouseButtons=2 as well as MouseButtons=3 ...
plus I tried some of the InputSensor code that was
posted here. This is the silliest problem...I can't
believe it is holding me up.

  Maybe I'll muck around with the mouse driver.....grr...
I'm running Windows NT 4.0.

   Regards,

  Larry

Quote:
> Here are two possibilites that might be causing it:

> 1) If you are using the new Microsoft IntelliMouse, then the wheel is
> the middle mouse button. It's somewhat of a pain to use though, so
> you might want to change the mouseButtons method as suggested in
> another reply.

> 2) Your mouse driver is screwed up. I've had this happen in Windows 95.
> I had to remove the mouse driver and let windows re-add it. It was
> strange since the mouse worked for other applications, but not for
> VW.

> John Brant

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Right mouse Button in Windows NT 4.0

Quote:

>  I'm having trouble with the right mouse
>button on Windows 4.0 when I run VisualWave.
>I can't get the Operate menu (Do it, inspect it, etc)
>to come up...all I get is the Window menu.
>What do I have to do to fix that?? I tried
>Control-right mouse button but I can't get
>the Operate menu. It is hard to do anything
>in Smalltalk if you can't get that menu!

Here are two possibilites that might be causing it:

1) If you are using the new Microsoft IntelliMouse, then the wheel is
the middle mouse button. It's somewhat of a pain to use though, so
you might want to change the mouseButtons method as suggested in
another reply.

2) Your mouse driver is screwed up. I've had this happen in Windows 95.
I had to remove the mouse driver and let windows re-add it. It was
strange since the mouse worked for other applications, but not for
VW.

John Brant

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. left mouse button = right mouse button

2. Mid Mouse Button/ Tcl/tk 80.0 under NT 4.0

3. Mouse right button in ST/V windows Win32

4. leftmouse button is right mouse button ???

5. Right mouse button in VW

6. Pop up modify (right mouse button) issue - Help

7. Right Mouse Button

8. Disable Right Mouse Button Popup Menu

9. Disable Right Mouse Button Popup Menu

10. Detect right button mouse clicks

11. System 3 right mouse button broken?

12. GNAT, CLAW, and the right mouse button