Standard Windows Mouse Pointers
Author Message
 Standard Windows Mouse Pointers

I'm looking into putting the standard Windows "Normal Select", "Busy"
and "Working in Background" cursors into our VW 3.0 (soon to be 5i)
application, in place of the usual bitmap cursors.  We'd particularly
like to allow animated cursors, if that's what the user has selected.
We are running on Windows NT (or 9X).  Not being a big-time Windows
API user, I'd really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions or sample
code.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Standard Windows Mouse Pointers

Quote:

> I'm looking into putting the standard Windows "Normal Select", "Busy"
> and "Working in Background" cursors into our VW 3.0 (soon to be 5i)
> application, in place of the usual bitmap cursors.  We'd particularly
> like to allow animated cursors, if that's what the user has selected.
> We are running on Windows NT (or 9X).  Not being a big-time Windows
> API user, I'd really appreciate it if anyone has suggestions or sample
> code.

The VW 3 and 5i cursors are still limited to static 16x16 mono, masked
images; Windows uses 32x32 colour animated cursors. I've been asking for the
same thing as you for a while, and others have too, apparently with little
success. In the end I built my own VW cursor images, which look as much like
the Windows cursors as I can make them in 16x16. In practice, my version of
the standard pointer cursor looks OK, but the hourglass and
pointer+hourglass cursors suffer more from the lack of room.

I enclose my attempts, and anyone is welcome to use them, provided they
first write to Cincom and ask for better support for cursors in VW! I'd also
appreciate any improvements to the code and/or bitmaps.

To turn Windows cursors on, file in the enclosed source, and do:
        Cursor winCursors.
        [(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait. Cursor currentCursor: Cursor normal] fork
The delay seems necessary, although I don't know why...
Steve
Steven Kelly, Product Development Manager           www.metacase.com
MetaCase Consulting, Ylistonmaentie 31, FIN-40500 Jyvaskyla, Finland

[ wincursors_10a.st 2K ]
'From VisualWorks?, Release 3.0 of February 25, 1998 on September 27, 1999 at 2:35:17 pm'!

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

win
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #win"

        <resource: #image>

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'class initialization'!

winCursors
        "self winCursors"
        self initialize.
        XeqCursor := CompactMemoryCursor := QuickGarbageCursor :=

        NormalCursor :=

        WaitCursor := ReadCursor := WriteCursor := GarbageCursor :=

        self currentCursor: NormalCursor.! !

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

winMask
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winMask"

        <resource: #image>

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

winWait
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winWait"

        <resource: #image>

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

winWaitMask
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winWaitMask"

        <resource: #image>

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

winXeq
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winXeq"

        <resource: #image>

!Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

winXeqMask
        "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winXeqMask"

        <resource: #image>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Standard Windows Mouse Pointers
Have you taken a look at the animated cursors in Jun?
Quote:

> [...]

>         self currentCursor: NormalCursor.! !

> !Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

> winMask
>         "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winMask"

>         <resource: #image>

> !Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

> winWait
>         "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winWait"

>         <resource: #image>

> !Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

> winWaitMask
>         "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winWaitMask"

>         <resource: #image>

> !Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

> winXeq
>         "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winXeq"

>         <resource: #image>

> !Cursor class methodsFor: 'resources'!

> winXeqMask
>         "UIMaskEditor new openOnClass: self andSelector: #winXeqMask"

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

2. Mice, mice, mice, mice ...

3. How to change the mouse pointer?

4. How to hide and unhide a mouse pointer?

5. Mouse Pointer

6. Moving Mouse Pointer

7. Mouse Pointer to default button

8. Changing the mouse pointer to a cursor?

9. Problem with mouse pointer.

10. Problems with mouse pointer

11. Clipper Mouse pointer destroys INKEY()!!

12. Mouse pointer