POST Request size limit with VAST/Web Connection/ISAPI
Author Message
 POST Request size limit with VAST/Web Connection/ISAPI

I am developing a web application with Visual Age Smalltalk using the
Web Connection Components and the ISAPI interface. I created a Part
for uploading a file to the server read by the application.
By testing I observed a size limit for the file to be uploaded which
is approximately 48 KB. It seems that in this case the request doesn't
reach the application, ie I don't see an entry in the Web Server
Interface Monitor.
First I thought that the Web Server has a limitation on the size of a
POST request, but searching a couple of newsgroup postings all saying
that such a limit doesn't exist and any limits of this kind come from
the interface program.
Now I'm wondering if the abtwsam.dll has this limitation and if it is
possible to get rid of it.
If anyone has experience with this kind of problem, please answer.
Any comments are welcome.
Cheers
Peter

Tue, 22 Feb 2005 03:09:37 GMT
 POST Request size limit with VAST/Web Connection/ISAPI

Quote:

> I am developing a web application with Visual Age Smalltalk using the
> Web Connection Components and the ISAPI interface. I created a Part
> for uploading a file to the server read by the application.
> By testing I observed a size limit for the file to be uploaded which
> is approximately 48 KB. It seems that in this case the request doesn't
> reach the application, ie I don't see an entry in the Web Server
> Interface Monitor.
> First I thought that the Web Server has a limitation on the size of a
> POST request, but searching a couple of newsgroup postings all saying
> that such a limit doesn't exist and any limits of this kind come from
> the interface program.
> Now I'm wondering if the abtwsam.dll has this limitation and if it is
> possible to get rid of it.
> If anyone has experience with this kind of problem, please answer.
> Any comments are welcome.
> Cheers
> Peter

We use POST to upload files in a few of our products and we haven't seen
this kind of limitation. Our users upload megabyte document files. It
sounds like we're using the same stuff that you're using too. What you
might inadvertably be doing (long shot, but you never know) is using a
GET instead of a POST. GET has a limit on it (as part of its
specification) where as POST doesn't.

Michael

Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:46:31 GMT
 POST Request size limit with VAST/Web Connection/ISAPI

Quote:
> We use POST to upload files in a few of our products and we haven't seen
> this kind of limitation. Our users upload megabyte document files. It
> sounds like we're using the same stuff that you're using too. What you
> might inadvertably be doing (long shot, but you never know) is using a
> GET instead of a POST. GET has a limit on it (as part of its
> specification) where as POST doesn't.

> Michael

Nice try, but we definitely use a POST request. An example looks as
follows:

POST /cgi-bin/hrw.dll/ClwRkGlobalAdminImportWebView-BF41F72B_12_550E3FC73D5F3EB700E4ECE08EF95D13?s=1&Role=CreditCardAdministrator
HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel,
application/msword, */*
Referer: http://sgb/cgi-bin/hrw.dll/ClwRkGlobalAdminImportWebView-BF41F72B_12_...
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache

-----------------------------7d2be9e02a4

<here the file follows>

-----------------------------7d2be9e02a4

Anfrage senden
-----------------------------7d2be9e02a4

ClwRkGlobalAdminImportWebView
-----------------------------7d2be9e02a4--

In the meantime I tried the same with CGI instead of ISAPI, where I
could upload far bigger files only limited by a CGI time out, when
upload time is too long.
Do you think, that it could be any configuration problem?

Peter

Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:39:10 GMT

1. VAST Web Connection

2. VAST Web Connection: how to download/ upload a file from a webserver ?(please read my explanation)

3. How can I open a file in VAST Web Connection

4. Need help by VAST Web Connection

5. DBConnection<<open connection string size limit...

6. VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS

7. cgi : limiting size of POST?

8. Apache Web Server and ISAPI Broker

9. VAST with Lotus Notes Connection

10. Question on Visual Connections in Vast?

11. VAST AIX tab size

12. asyncore: limiting number of simultaneous connections?