Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT
Author Message
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT

Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

Thanks,
Allen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT
We moved VASTv3.0.a OS/2 to Win95 on Jan/97 ... we did not have any real
problem ... had change some fonts only (I think that was solved by OS/2
late in 97' ) ...

I am not sure what do you mean  with 'Parts, Widgets' .. they are
cross-platform  ... although there is a category named 'Win 95 controls'
you won't have to worry about it comming from OS/2 ...

Quote:
> Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
> Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

> Thanks,
> Allen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT

Quote:

> > Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
> > Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

> > Thanks,
> > Allen

Unless you used OS/2 specific parts such as PM-Notebook, there souldn't be
any problems with the migration.

-Eyal Kat

--
******  A T T E N T I O N *********
The address for reply contains

***********************************

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT

Quote:

> We moved VASTv3.0.a OS/2 to Win95 on Jan/97 ... we did not have any real
> problem ... had change some fonts only (I think that was solved by OS/2
> late in 97' ) ...

> I am not sure what do you mean  with 'Parts, Widgets' .. they are
> cross-platform  ... although there is a category named 'Win 95 controls'
> you won't have to worry about it comming from OS/2 ...

> > Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
> > Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

> > Thanks,
> > Allen

I should have been clearer. The question is for VSE (aka Digitalk) not
VisualAge

Thanks,
Allen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT
we do the same job right now, the only problem we have is to migrate/convert
our self-made os2-icons stored in a dll to a win-readable format;
-Robert

Joseph Kerwin Loor schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>We moved VASTv3.0.a OS/2 to Win95 on Jan/97 ... we did not have any real
>problem ... had change some fonts only (I think that was solved by OS/2
>late in 97' ) ...

>I am not sure what do you mean  with 'Parts, Widgets' .. they are
>cross-platform  ... although there is a category named 'Win 95 controls'
>you won't have to worry about it comming from OS/2 ...

>> Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
>> Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

>> Thanks,
>> Allen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT
Hi Allen,

There are quite a few issues that can cause some difficulty when moving from
OS/2 to NT. Here are some of them:

1. Your OS/2 part files will have to be converted to a .CLS files before
they can be loaded into NT. The formats are simply not compatible. The newly
created Windows parts will need to be tweaked for appearance. This process
is a nuisance but you could probably do a large app of a couple of hundred
windows in a week or so if you work diligently. Once the part files are
converted they will have to be maintained separately. You will probably have
an easier time of converting your windows if you are using WindowBuilder.
Also most of our Windows do not have more than a couple of links so we don't
have a lot of experience doing those. If you are using a lot of links I
imagine you might have more problems.

2. Many CUA (OS/2) controls do not have direct counterparts on Windows. Of
particular interest are the Notebook and Container controls. Some of the
other controls have counterparts however the interface differs
substantially. One that comes to mind is the SpinButton control.
    PPD did port the PARTSNotebookPart class to windows but not its
superclass Notebook so as long as you stuck to the public interface on
PARTSNotebookPart you should be ok. The entire public interface is the same
on both platforms. On the other hand if you accessed or overrode private
methods in the Notebook class on OS/2 then I expect you will have some
difficulty getting your code to run on Windows. In general most of the OS/2
PARTS classes are almost 100% compatible with their Windows counterparts. If
their counterpart exists, which in most cases it does.
    The OS/2 container is another bag of worms. I was able to provide a
fairly decent emulation of it using the Windows List and Tree view controls.
The public interface for container is about 150 methods so expect a big job
if you want to emulate it faithfully.
    You will probably have to make some minor modifications to any code
using spin buttons since the interface is somewhat different on Windows.
Your best bet if you are using them on part files is to delete the OS/2
versions then readd the Windows versions. In general if you have any problem
getting controls to work correctly your first step should be to delete them
readd them.

3. I estimate that about 95-99% of your OS/2 Smalltalk code will work
unmodified on Windows. Of course that depends on what you are doing in your
application. You will probably have some difficulty getting that 1-5% of
your code functioning on Windows. Expect to spend about half your time
working on it, especially if it is not very well abstracted.

4. Concentrate your initial effort on the difficult parts, these being
primarily subclassed controls and external api calls to OS/2 specific dlls.
This will give you a good idea of where most of your problem areas are going
to be.

5. Get the MSDN library disks from Microsoft. If you have to do any low
level work with controls or other low level aspects of the MS OSes you are
going to need them. This information can also be accessed for free at the
Microsoft web site, however I prefer the disks since they are faster.

6. Many of the features added to 95/98/NT have not been added to VSW. If you
need them you will probably have to write your own interface.

--

Joe Herr

Quote:

>> We moved VASTv3.0.a OS/2 to Win95 on Jan/97 ... we did not have any real
>> problem ... had change some fonts only (I think that was solved by OS/2
>> late in 97' ) ...

>> I am not sure what do you mean  with 'Parts, Widgets' .. they are
>> cross-platform  ... although there is a category named 'Win 95 controls'
>> you won't have to worry about it comming from OS/2 ...

>> > Does anyone know of any specific issues related to moving Visual
>> > Smalltalk applications from OS/2 to NT ( i.e. Parts, Widgets etc. )

>> > Thanks,
>> > Allen

>I should have been clearer. The question is for VSE (aka Digitalk) not
>VisualAge

>Thanks,
>Allen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT

Quote:
>2. Many CUA (OS/2) controls do not have direct counterparts on Windows. Of
>particular interest are the Notebook and Container controls. Some of the
>other controls have counterparts however the interface differs
>substantially. One that comes to mind is the SpinButton control.
>    PPD did port the PARTSNotebookPart class to windows but not its
>superclass Notebook so as long as you stuck to the public interface on
>PARTSNotebookPart you should be ok. The entire public interface is the same
>on both platforms. On the other hand if you accessed or overrode private
>methods in the Notebook class on OS/2 then I expect you will have some
>difficulty getting your code to run on Windows. In general most of the OS/2
>PARTS classes are almost 100% compatible with their Windows counterparts. If
>their counterpart exists, which in most cases it does.

IBM provide a range of platform independent widgets which includes the
OS/2 notebooks. Why not get the Try and Buy and check out what you do
get.

Order it on http://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/vast/vastminfn-p

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - THE Smalltalk resource

Totally Objects is an IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT
Hi David,

    He was asking about VSO to VSW issues. VS to VA is a whole different set
of issues. OS/2 to Windows Visual Smalltalk conversion is still a viable
option under certain circumstances.

--

Joe Herr

Quote:

>IBM provide a range of platform independent widgets which includes the
>OS/2 notebooks. Why not get the Try and Buy and check out what you do
>get.

>Order it on http://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/vast/vastminfn-p

>GO SMALLTALK

>http://www.totallyobjects.com - THE Smalltalk resource

>Totally Objects is an IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Visual Smalltalk OS/2 to Visual Smalltalk NT

Quote:
>Hi David,

>    He was asking about VSO to VSW issues. VS to VA is a whole different set
>of issues. OS/2 to Windows Visual Smalltalk conversion is still a viable
>option under certain circumstances.

Apologies, I got caught up in the previous confusions over VA. Sorry
:-(

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - THE Smalltalk resource

Totally Objects is an IBM Object Connection member

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

2. Visual Smalltalk and Visual Age crashes

3. Converting from Visual Smalltalk to Visual Age

4. Smalltalk Developer Visual Works-Visual Age Perm job in MN

5. Equivalent of Visual smalltalk object filer in VA or Visual works

6. Visual Smalltalk, PARTS, OS/2...

7. Q: Visual Smalltalk calls a DLL in OS/2

8. Visual Smalltalk/Win32s under OS/2 Warp

9. Visual Smalltalk / OS/2 2.1

10. Visual Smalltalk 3.0 for OS/2 - Dynamically changing menus