Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
Author Message
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> When I try to start vwnc30 on my machine, I get an invalid page in
> "KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7a128" a few seconds after the initial screen
> disappears.

Same problem but with the commercial version!

Quote:
> VISUAL verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungltige Seite
> in Modul KERNEL32.DLL bei 0157:bff78756.
> Register:
> EAX=0073c9f4 CS=0157 EIP=bff78756 EFLGS=00010216
> EBX=0080fff0 SS=015f ESP=006ffad0 EBP=006ffb10
> ECX=00100000 DS=015f ESI=0073c9f4 FS=0e17
> EDX=0071000c ES=015f EDI=000d35fc GS=0000
> Bytes bei CS:EIP:
> 8b 03 a8 01 74 25 25 fc ff ff 0f 8b 53 08 03 f8
> Stapelwerte:
> 006ffb10 000d35fc 0073a9f0 00002004 bff789d1 00710000 0073c9f4 000d35fc
> 00000000 0071000c 00710000 0073a9f0 00000000 00000000 0000080f 0000073b

Pentium Pro D6
Win95 4.00.950B

(customer pc, installed software not exactly known)

Any hints which software or hardware could cause the problem?
Where to start?

Many thanks, Herwig

                Herwig Schreiner   Siemens AG Austria

            tel +43 1 1707 35465   A-1030 WIEN
            fax +43 1 1707 55425   AUSTRIA, Europe

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> > When I try to start vwnc30 on my machine, I get an invalid page in
> > "KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7a128" a few seconds after the initial screen
> > disappears.

> Same problem but with the commercial version!

Some curious details:

The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

- After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
- Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

- But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
  VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

- Only a restart of Win95 helps.

What to do?

Many thanks, Herwig

                Herwig Schreiner   Siemens AG Austria

            tel +43 1 1707 35465   A-1030 WIEN
            fax +43 1 1707 55425   AUSTRIA, Europe

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
Quote:

> The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

> - After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
> - Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

> - But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
>   VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

> - Only a restart of Win95 helps.

> What to do?

<joke>
Remove Windows Explorer ;-)
<\joke>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
Maybe there are two versions of some DLL, one of  which is causing problems.
Check to see what DLL's exist in your image and/or VM directories, then see
if you've got other versions elsewhere.  I'm guessing that when you start
Explorer it's loading the version of the DLL which causes you problems, then
because this version is already loaded it gets used by VW and *boom*!  Just
a thought.  I hope this helps.
--
Bob Jarvis
Mail address hacked to foil spammers!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> > > When I try to start vwnc30 on my machine, I get an invalid page in
> > > "KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7a128" a few seconds after the initial screen
> > > disappears.

> > Same problem but with the commercial version!

> Some curious details:

> The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

> - After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
> - Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

> - But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
>   VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

I can't start it even without having opened the Explorer.
Does anyone know a tool to display the DLLs a program is using?
--
Hubert Bildstein

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
Under Windows NT PVIEW.EXE should do what you want, I think.  Unfortunately,
I think you need one of Microsoft's development tools (such as Visual C++)
to get it.  It might be available as part of the NT Resource Kit.
--
Bob Jarvis
Mail address hacked to foil spammers!
Remove "ob" from address to reply

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

I don't have an answer, but by any chance have you turned on the 'Active
Desktop' features ?  I had no problems with VW after turning it on, but
I had other apps that just would not run at all until I turned it off...

Quote:

> > The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

> > - After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
> > - Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

> > - But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
> >   VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

> > - Only a restart of Win95 helps.

> > What to do?

> <joke>
> Remove Windows Explorer ;-)
> <\joke>

  jamesr.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> > > Same problem but with the commercial version!

> > Some curious details:

> > The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

> > - After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
> > - Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

> > - But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
> >   VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

> I can't start it even without having opened the Explorer.

Does the image start-up on a different platform, i.e. a non-Windows one?  We've recently seen some {*filter*} bugs with the start-up code trying to unload libraries that were open only in the process that created the snapshot.  It seems that FreeLibrary will simply unmap parts of your address space if given a bogus library handle.  If the image starts up on a non-Windows platform then this might indicate that library unloading is the problem.

Now the library code is carefully written to nil all library handles on start-up before any attempt is made to access an external interface and reload its libraries.  So this bug "shouldn't happen".  We saw it when developing the beta for the next VisualWorks release because we broke something.  But if anyone can demonstrate a 3.0 image that was saved on Windows and crashes in start-up on Windows but either starts-up or raises a notifier on a non-windows platform I'd be very interested.

_______________,,,^..^,,,_______________
Eliot Miranda, ParcPlace

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
My favorite Windows 95 bug!

This is not image-specific; it can happen with a {*filter*} image and any of the OEs (i.e. 252,
252d, 30 and 30a).

We tried upgrading to Windows 98, but all this managed to do was prevent the Explorer
"workaround" from working around the problem.

This problem does not appear to occur on NT. I tracked it for hours in the Visual C++
de{*filter*} over a slow PC Anywhere link (wonderful experience, you should try it sometime
:-) ). I thought I had tracked it down to an inability to load the VW DLLs, but alas, that
was a false path. The VM goes into what appears to be some weird memory initialization loop
(with a non-local return) and then vanishes.

The machine we have this problem on is a Gateway 400MHz desktop machine. It may be due to
some DLLs installed by our customer. We are getting a copy of their "standard" system
installation disc. The VW support web site mentions something about caches and video cards
potentially causing this problem, but we did not have any luck in this area.

We were actually able to replicate the problem on *one* machine, but then someone decided to
reinstall Windows 95, and of course now we have no test bench to figure it out anymore.

This is a {*filter*} bug to find because it is not image-specific. It occurs after the DLLs are
loaded (what are they, VWFT16.DLL and VWFT32.DLL?). I traced it through the load sequence
for these libraries. At first it looked like it was failing to load one of the libraries,
ignoring the return code, trying again and then blowing its brains out on the LoadLibrary()
call. But then I was able to get the library to load successfully, and it still crashed in
the same way.

I wish I still had the damn machine, because I could replicate it 100% of the time (even
over PCAnywhere in the C++ de{*filter*}).

My gut feeling is that it is a DLL conflict, but we checked both KERNEL32.DLL and
MSVCRT40.DLL and they seemed to be correct (but, god what a mess). I would really be popular
with a very important client if I could solve this one.

Please post or e-mail any further information you might have.

Steve
-----

Quote:

>> > Some curious details:

>> > The problem only appears after using Windows Explorer!

>> > - After (re)starting of Win95 the image works fine.
>> > - Starting Windows Explorer, no problem.

>> > - But, after the first click on a directory in Windows Explorer
>> >   VisualWorks3.0 can't start!!

>> I can't start it even without having opened the Explorer.

>Does the image start-up on a different platform, i.e. a non-Windows one?  We've recently

seen some {*filter*} bugs with the start-up code trying to unload libraries that were open only
in the process that created the snapshot.  It seems that FreeLibrary will simply unmap parts
of your address space if given a bogus library handle.  If the image starts up on a
non-Windows platform then this might indicate that library unloading is the problem.
Quote:

>Now the library code is carefully written to nil all library handles on start-up before any

attempt is made to access an external interface and reload its libraries.  So this bug
"shouldn't happen".  We saw it when developing the beta for the next VisualWorks release
because we broke something.  But if anyone can demonstrate a 3.0 image that was saved on
Windows and crashes in start-up on Windows but either starts-up or raises a notifier on a
non-windows platform I'd be very interested.

>_______________,,,^..^,,,_______________
>Eliot Miranda, ParcPlace

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
I couldn't start even a vw30 image on my home system after upgrading to Win98.  It
turned out (a case where drwatson worked) to be Adobe TypeManager.  Disabling
that, VW now starts fine.  Perhaps your customer's problem as well. Unfortunately,
I need ATM.

Bruce Boyer

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> Does the image start-up on a different platform, i.e. a non-Windows one?  We've

I can't even start for the first time! This obviously is not an image problem.

--
Hubert Bildstein

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> I couldn't start even a vw30 image on my home system after upgrading to Win98.  It
> turned out (a case where drwatson worked) to be Adobe TypeManager.  Disabling
> that, VW now starts fine.  Perhaps your customer's problem as well. Unfortunately,
> I need ATM.

The same with me!!
Disabling ATM allows me to start vwnc30. This isn't a nice feature of Visual
Works....:-(
It's the first program I know having such problems with ATM.

--
Hubert Bildstein

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

Quote:

> Does the image start-up on a different platform, i.e. a non-Windows one?

Yes, without any problems!
Our development environment is SUN Solaris and we deploy on Win95 and
WinNT.
We never had any problems using our image on WinNT and Win95 with the
exception
of this *one* machine!

Unfortunately there is no *obvious* DLL-conflict, but can I be sure?

AND:
we will have to deploy our image across the (Siemens-)world soon!
So, what can we do to ensure that the VM will start up correctly?

Thanks for participating. It's a lousy problem for us.

Herwig

                Herwig Schreiner   Siemens AG Austria

            tel +43 1 1707 35465   A-1030 WIEN
            fax +43 1 1707 55425   AUSTRIA, Europe

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]
Can ObjectShare confirm this bug?

It sounds like it is a conflict with Adobe Type Manager (ATM). Does this conflict occur with
other Adobe Products (e.g. PhotoShop or Acrobat)?

Quote:

>> Does the image start-up on a different platform, i.e. a non-Windows one?

>Yes, without any problems!
>Our development environment is SUN Solaris and we deploy on Win95 and
>WinNT.
>We never had any problems using our image on WinNT and Win95 with the
>exception
>of this *one* machine!

>Unfortunately there is no *obvious* DLL-conflict, but can I be sure?

>AND:
>we will have to deploy our image across the (Siemens-)world soon!
>So, what can we do to ensure that the VM will start up correctly?

>Thanks for participating. It's a lousy problem for us.

>Herwig

>--
>                Herwig Schreiner   Siemens AG Austria

>            tel +43 1 1707 35465   A-1030 WIEN
>            fax +43 1 1707 55425   AUSTRIA, Europe

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Can't start vw30 [was: Can't start vwnc30]

3. Can't start vw30

4. Can't start vwnc30

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. It's not bad canned meat...

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. It's not bad canned meat...

9. Parameter 'handshake source' in DIO Start

10. RC=457 from 'START ...'

11. RC=457 from a 'START ....'

12. CICS 'START' Question