Review: A good beginner book
Author Message
 Review: A good beginner book

Hi,

I discovered the book of Alec Sharp Smalltalk by Example Mc GramHill 0-07-913036
a week ago and read it. I like it. This is a kind of mixture between Kent Beck book and
Bernard Horan book that I will propose to my students.
This is definite good book to start with.

(Trevor Hopkins and Bernard Horan, Smalltalk: An Introduction to Application Development using VisualWorks Prentice-Hall,1995, ISBN: 0-13-318387-4)
(Kent Beck Smalltalk Best Practice Smalltalk, Prentice-Hall, 1997, ISBN: 0-13-476904-X)

By the way is somebody writing the following book:
        "Smalltalk for the Java Programmer"
This book is needed with all the students of the world learning Java.
This may also be an opportunity to attrack Javaer.

Stef

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Review: A good beginner book

Quote:
>I discovered the book of Alec Sharp Smalltalk by Example Mc GramHill
0-07-913036
>a week ago and read it. I like it. This is a kind of mixture between Kent
Beck book and
>Bernard Horan book that I will propose to my students.
>This is definite good book to start with.

I'd second that - IMO it is an EXCELLENT book that goes well beyond the
beginner stage.  Should be on every Smalltalkers bookshelf.  There are some
typos in the code illustrations though....

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Book review review

2. Good book for beginner?

3. any good books for beginners

4. Best Clarion book for beginners?

5. Good book for beginner?

6. Good books for a beginner?

7. What's a good book about scheme for a beginner

8. Good Beginners VRML Book

9. Recomendations for a good Verilog book for beginners

10. Best Book for VHDL Beginner ?

11. Best beginner book

12. Wanted: Good Book for beginner