ODBC performance Improvements
Author Message
 ODBC performance Improvements

First I would like to say, we have not done any scientific testing,
more or less just poking around cleaning up loose ends and ...

We ran the performance monitor on a section of our code and 22% of the
time was spent in a single method in a base class (EsString).  We
re-wrote the base method in a scratch edition and re-ran the monitor.
The offending method was not even listed in the results.  Net savings
22%!  (Flame Protection: We put a break-point in and verified the
method is being called 8^))

Has anyone been tempted to modify base ODBC classes to improve
performance?

What is the rule of thumb when modifying base classes?

Has anyone else found other ODBC performance tuning goodies?

Ron

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ODBC performance Improvements

Ronald -

Quote:
>Has anyone been tempted to modify base ODBC classes to improve
>performance?

I have and with some success but not 22%.  Is the coded you perf tested just
a simple query like:

resultTable := aOdbcDatabaseConnection
    resultTableFromQuerySpec: 'select * from employee where salary > 11000'
abrAsQuerySpec
    ifError: [ self error: 'darn' ].

or something much more complicated?

Quote:

>What is the rule of thumb when modifying base classes?

>Has anyone else found other ODBC performance tuning goodies?

Could you share your changes?

-Bob

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ODBC performance Improvements

Quote:

>We ran the performance monitor on a section of our code and 22% of the
>time was spent in a single method in a base class (EsString).  We
>re-wrote the base method in a scratch edition and re-ran the monitor.
>The offending method was not even listed in the results.  Net savings
>22%!  (Flame Protection: We put a break-point in and verified the
>method is being called 8^))

>Has anyone been tempted to modify base ODBC classes to improve
>performance?

This is also not scientific, just something we've noticed. TOPLink comes with
an ODBC accessor which is just a thin layer of calls to the ODBC DLL. We've
noticed that it's significantly faster than the VisualAge ODBC accessor, and
even the native accessors. I have no definite explanation for why this should
be so.

--

The Object People               http://www.objectpeople.com
613.225.8812(v) 613.225.5943(f)

"As your programming speed approaches infinity, re-use
becomes irrelevant" - Kent Beck

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Performance improvements in 5.0?

2. Performance improvements between VW 3.0 and VW 5i

3. vw2.5 performance improvements

4. J Performance Improvements

5. A performance improvement!

6. Question on performance improvement through re-design.

7. Python 1.5b1, code review for possible performance improvements

8. Performance improvement opportunities

9. ODBC performance

10. ODBC: performance problem

11. ODBC: performance problem

12. ODBC overseas performance problem