BOSS to/from runtime system
Author Message
 BOSS to/from runtime system

I spent a few days trying to work it out: how to exchange (with BOSS) data and
code between a development and a runtime version of my application (a
simulation system, in VW 1.0). In the development environment everything
works as it should (I can dump and load data and/or code with BOSS). However,

1) I am unable to load code into the runtime system,
no matter what combination of switches (#discard, #keep or
#reference) I use. While the manual states that this way it should be
possible to extent the runtime system with new classes (as compiled code
only), I can't get it to work. Are there any classes missing in the runtime
system (created in the default way with the {*filter*} tool) that are required
to install compiled code, or can it be that certain objects can not be
installed properly in such a runtime system  (like blocks, as in
SortedCollections)?

Furthermore
2) While I can load data (without classes) in the runtime system, I can not
dump it from the runtime system. Again it looks like blocks are playing a
role in this, but it is hard to find out in a runtime system what is
exactly happening.

Has anybody experienced similar problems and solved them? Or maybe someone
with a more thorough understanding of the assumptions/inner workings of BOSS
can point out under which conditions in a runtime system BOSS will work as
advertised and when it won't?

Comments and suggestions highly appreciated!

Hans Baveco                                                     *
DLO Institute for Forestry and Nature Research (IBN-DLO)        *
P.O. Box 23; 6700 AA Wageningen                                 *
(visiting address: Kemperbergerweg 67; 6816 RM Arnhem)          *
tel. 085-546857                                                 *
fax. 085-422175                                                 *

Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:33:00 GMT

1. DOS Runtime System

2. CFP: 2nd Workshop on Runtime Systems for Parallel Programming (RTSPP)

3. CFP: 2nd Workshop on Runtime Systems for Parallel Programming (RTSPP)

4. tailoring Ada runtime systems

5. RunTime Systems - Are there any CIFO-like interfaces?

6. getting system time (runtime) in fortran

7. PLM runtime system wanted!

8. save ima for runtime systems ?

9. Runtime object type determination/ runtime generic instantiation

10. OZ++ system released with compiler, execution system and management systems

11. BOSS in another language

12. BOSS problem