Shared Memory, Data Compression Documentation Questions
Author Message
 Shared Memory, Data Compression Documentation Questions

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 08:00:12 -0400, "Victor Goldberg"

Quote:

>Does VW have explicit tools, accessible to the programmer, for:

>1.    Shared Memory Management

You mean between processes?  No, but you can use DLLCC to get at it.

Quote:
>2.    Data Compression

There's a compression goodie ported from Squeak

Quote:

>Where can I read about these for VW in particular, or in general?

Well, the former, nowhere ;-) - the latter is undocumented, since it's
a goodie
Quote:

>Thanks,
>Victor

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:09:31 GMT
 Shared Memory, Data Compression Documentation Questions
Hi Victor:

As I'm sure you know, GemStone/S allows for *some* shared memory
management via the SharedPageCache.  It is heavily documented in the
manuals (both dead-tree and PDF).

It also has data compression available when sending objects between
the gem and the repository, but this is specialized and not
particularly obvious (other than in the GBS settings tool) to the
programmer.

Cheers!!

--
Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]

Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:00:46 GMT
 Shared Memory, Data Compression Documentation Questions
Quote:

> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 08:00:12 -0400, "Victor Goldberg"

> >Does VW have explicit tools, accessible to the programmer, for:

> >1.    Shared Memory Management

> You mean between processes?  No, but you can use DLLCC to get at it.

Indeed. As SHM calls are C API calls exposed by the underlying Operating
System,
a language that supports SHM calls simply has wrappers that implement
those calls.
By using DLLCC as Jim points out above, you can achieve this in
Smalltalk.

I have (somewhere) some code that does this for Windows and Posix Unix
systems.
However, there is no rocket science to it; you can easily implement this
yourself.

Nick

--
Nicholas Yannakoyorgos

http://www.nyannako.fsnet.co.uk

Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:49:48 GMT

1. Shared Memory data types

2. Ada and shared memory question

3. VMS Shared Memory Question

4. Tcl and Shared memory Question.

5. multi-process shared data and thread private data

6. LSZip In-Memory compression

7. LSZip 'In-Memory' Compression - NEW BETA

8. LSZip 'In-Memory' Compression

9. LSZip In-Memory Compression

10. General questions about data structure and memory

11. basic question on memory allocation for data

12. memory compression