VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection
Author Message
 VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection

Can anyone with experience with VisualWave and/or VisualAge Web Connection
provide any feedback on comparisons between these two products?  Looking for
things like performance, maintainability, ease-of-use, ..  Thanks.

R. Chai

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection
Hi:

I have built several production applications in VisualWave.  A few months ago,
I built a prototype in VW web connect.  As a VA newbie, I found the
VisualEditor a genuine PITA for web development.  This would have an impact on
maintainability.

The documentation for VA web connect is truely aweful, the VisualWave doc is
thinner, but oddly more complete.  Because I only did a prototype in VA, I
can't speak authoratatively about performance; my only observation is that on
the hardware/SW I ran VA (IBM/PC 300 mhz p2 - 128 mb ram on NT), it seemed
sluggish in comparison to VisualWave on either NT or Linux (233 mmx - 128 mb
ram).  This is strictly an impression...YMMV - alot!

VisualWave uses ValueModels, just as VisualWorks.  VA web connect uses an
intermediary data form part which is only available for VA web connect.
VisualWave doesn't mangle base class names with prefixes.

I have found that the VisualWave server (used for deployment) to be extremely
fast and robust.  I haven't seen that kind of speed from the VA apps I work
on.  Again, YMMV!

An important feature of the VisualWorks/VisualWave server is that you can load
code while the image is up and serving clients.  I know this is available with
VA, but it is incredibly simple with Wave.

Finally, if you want to run a high performance, stable app server cheap, you
will probably want to run Linux.  I have been running VisualWave in Linux for
over a year and find it runs about twice as fast as in NT on the same
hardware.  Both Linux and Wave are stable and fast.

Both tools have their strong points.  IMHO, VisualWave is the better choice.

Please let us know how your project goes!!

Quote:

--
Thanks!!

Joseph Bacanskas

--- Java, the best argument for Smalltalk since C++.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave vs. VisualAge Web Connection
Hi:

Sorry for the typo!

Quote:

> Hi:

> I have built several production applications in VisualWave.  A few months ago,
> I built a prototype in VW web connect.  As a VA newbie, I found the

I built a prototype in VA web connect.  As a VA newbie, I found the
                                      ^^^^

Quote:

> VisualEditor a genuine PITA for web development.  This would have an impact on
> maintainability.

> The documentation for VA web connect is truely aweful, the VisualWave doc is
> thinner, but oddly more complete.  Because I only did a prototype in VA, I
> can't speak authoratatively about performance; my only observation is that on
> the hardware/SW I ran VA (IBM/PC 300 mhz p2 - 128 mb ram on NT), it seemed
> sluggish in comparison to VisualWave on either NT or Linux (233 mmx - 128 mb
> ram).  This is strictly an impression...YMMV - alot!

> VisualWave uses ValueModels, just as VisualWorks.  VA web connect uses an
> intermediary data form part which is only available for VA web connect.
> VisualWave doesn't mangle base class names with prefixes.

> I have found that the VisualWave server (used for deployment) to be extremely
> fast and robust.  I haven't seen that kind of speed from the VA apps I work
> on.  Again, YMMV!

> An important feature of the VisualWorks/VisualWave server is that you can load
> code while the image is up and serving clients.  I know this is available with
> VA, but it is incredibly simple with Wave.

> Finally, if you want to run a high performance, stable app server cheap, you
> will probably want to run Linux.  I have been running VisualWave in Linux for
> over a year and find it runs about twice as fast as in NT on the same
> hardware.  Both Linux and Wave are stable and fast.

> Both tools have their strong points.  IMHO, VisualWave is the better choice.

> Please let us know how your project goes!!

> > Can anyone with experience with VisualWave and/or VisualAge Web Connection
> > provide any feedback on comparisons between these two products?  Looking for
> > things like performance, maintainability, ease-of-use, ..  Thanks.

> > R. Chai

> --
> Thanks!!

> Joseph Bacanskas

> --- Java, the best argument for Smalltalk since C++.

--
Thanks!!

Joseph Bacanskas

--- Java, the best argument for Smalltalk since C++.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. VisualWave --vs-- VisualAge Web Connection

2. VisualAge Web Connection CGI variables

3. Capturing CGI variables in VisualAge Web Connection

4. Anyone using IBM's VisualAge for Smalltalk Web Connection

5. VisualAge: Web Connection Feature

6. Web Connection and 4.02b vs. 4.5a

7. VisualWave and Envy manager connection

8. VisualWave & VisualAge

9. Need VisualWorks,VisualAge,Gemstone,Fusion,Paradigm Plus,Java,C++,VisualWave

10. VisualAge PLI Enterprise vs. VisualAge PLI Personal

11. C++ vs VisualAge for SmallTalk vs Visual Basic

12. Object Studio vs VisualWorks vs VisualAge