Getting started with Smalltalk
Author Message
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Hey.

I'm starting a course next year which uses Smalltalk to teach OO. I'd
like to get prepared in advance and study a little Smalltalk, so I
downloaded Squeak, expecting an IDE and compiler (or interpreter -
whatever) and got ... Well, I'm not sure. Please could someone tell me
the simplest way to get coding in Smalltalk? (I'm using Windows, if
that's relevant.) Thank you.

JS

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:32:29 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Quote:
> I'm starting a course next year which uses Smalltalk to teach OO. I'd
> like to get prepared in advance and study a little Smalltalk, so I
> downloaded Squeak, expecting an IDE and compiler (or interpreter -
> whatever) and got ...

Squeak is highly platform independent, so it can be run on almost any
computer, even on PDAs. And everywhere it looks exactly the same.

Quote:
> Well, I'm not sure. Please could someone tell me
> the simplest way to get coding in Smalltalk? (I'm using Windows, if
> that's relevant.) Thank you.

To create and edit classes you need to start the browser: On the right side
there is an orange flap named "Tools". Click on that flap and drag the
appearing icon named "Browser" to your desktop.

To get a collection of tutorials for Squeak (and programming in Smalltalk)
check out the following sites:

    http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.377
    http://www.whysmalltalk.com/tutorials/squeak.htm

If you have questions specific to Squeak you should subscribe to the Squeak
mailinglist and ask there:

    http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak/9611.html

There are other Smalltalk environments, that probably look more similar to
that what you were expecting of an IDE. E.g. check out the non-commercial
Version of VisualWorks.

    http://www.cincom.com/scripts/smalltalk.dll/downloads
        /index.ssp?content=smalltalk

Cheers
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://renggli.freezope.org

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:55:51 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Quote:
>I'm starting a course next year which uses Smalltalk to teach OO. I'd
>like to get prepared in advance and study a little Smalltalk, so I
>downloaded Squeak, expecting an IDE and compiler (or interpreter -
>whatever) and got ... Well, I'm not sure. Please could someone tell me
>the simplest way to get coding in Smalltalk? (I'm using Windows, if
>that's relevant.) Thank you.

Squeak's emphasis is not Smalltalk development, but rather user interfaces and
stuff like that. It's fun to play with, but if your prime target is to learn
the craft of coding in Smalltalk, maybe not the best one to start with (until
someone ports the VW tutorial to it, hint, hint ;-)).

VisualWorks is the 'grey-striped-suit' brother of Squeak (Squeak's a she,
IMO), and has a non-commercial version for download (www.cincomsmalltalk.com).
When you fire it up, you get a tutorial which will run you through the basics
of Smalltalk development in (probably) a short time.

From that point on, you can probably use the information available otherwise:
books in print, books on the web (search Stephane Ducasse's site with free
Smalltalk books, I don't have the URL handy), etcetera.

Under Windows, there's also Dolphin Smalltalk. Dunnow whether it has a
tutorial.

Regards,

Cees

--

GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD  1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B
Cogito ergo evigilo

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:00:43 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk
The Open University has been teaching with Smalltalk for several
years.
I can't tell you when it's on TV but some of the course tutorials are
available online:

http://members.aol.com/M206ou/m206/M206_Smalltalk_tutorial_01.htm

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:34:00 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Quote:
> Hey.

> I'm starting a course next year which uses Smalltalk to teach OO. I'd
> like to get prepared in advance and study a little Smalltalk, so I
> downloaded Squeak, expecting an IDE and compiler (or interpreter -
> whatever) and got ... Well, I'm not sure. Please could someone tell me
> the simplest way to get coding in Smalltalk?

Smalltalk Express (to get  productive in minutes:)
   or
VW (to explore the real power of Smalltalk kingdom)

Vlastik

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:29:42 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk
I've been doing the same thing - having signed up for a course next year
using Smalltalk.

I've got hold of Cincom's VW and did find it difficult at first to know
where to start.

VW has tutorials in it's Help menu, one by Ivan Tomek being particularly
useful for rank beginners like myself.  Someone else mentioned Stephanne
Ducasse's site - very useful also - can be found at
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html

The OU link is useful too - thanks for that!

Hope you get started OK - I'm struggling a bit to get my head around it all,
having been programming in C++ for a while now.  All seems very different

Good luck.

Steve.

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:05:05 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Quote:
> Under Windows, there's also Dolphin Smalltalk. Dunnow whether it has a
> tutorial.

Haven't tried the XP version, but the old version has something called
"educational centre" which included a tutorial and possibly other stuff.

--

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:01:25 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

> > Under Windows, there's also Dolphin Smalltalk. Dunnow whether it has a
> > tutorial.

> Haven't tried the XP version, but the old version has something called
> "educational centre" which included a tutorial and possibly other stuff.

http://www.object-arts.com/EducationCentre/Education.htm

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Object Arts Ltd.
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:08:37 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

Quote:

> I'm starting a course next year which uses Smalltalk to teach OO. I'd
> like to get prepared in advance and study a little Smalltalk

One of the things which people find hard about using Smalltalk is that
they can't find where "the program" is!

In most languages you have a text file and the programs is right-there
as a sequence of instructions. In Smalltalk there's no one-place where
you can see the program - it exists as interactions between objects.
Programming in Smalltalk is much-more-like doing object-oriented
design. So I'd suggest you learn from object-oriented design books
written by Smalltalkers.

I'd recommend this as a first text: "Designing Object-Oriented
Software" Rebecca Wirfs-Brock, Brian Wilkerson, Lauren Wiener. 1990.

Sun, 01 May 2005 00:20:10 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk

search Stephane Ducasse's site with free

Quote:
> Smalltalk books, I don't have the URL handy), etcetera.

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html

Mon, 02 May 2005 07:12:04 GMT
 Getting started with Smalltalk
On Windows you could use:
Squeak, Dolphin, SmalltalkExpress, VisualWorks NC or the VisualAge
evaluation edition.

I would recommend Dolphin.  It has a very clean class library and it
is supported well by the guys that develop it.  The UI stuff isn't the
easiest to figure out at first but the clean class library more than
makes up for it.

There are a few key sites for Smalltalk information too:
http://www.goodstart.com
http://www.stic.org
http://www.whysmalltalk.com

Good luck!  I hope you love Smalltalk as much as we do!
Monty Kamath
http://www.goodstart.com/contactme.shtml

Tue, 03 May 2005 00:04:14 GMT

1. getting started with smalltalk

2. Getting started in Smalltalk

3. Getting Started in Smalltalk

4. Don't getting started the Help Site, the Tutorial and the Education Centre

5. getting started with Swazoo

6. Getting Started

7. Getting started

8. Still getting started...

9. MS Project COM interface --getting started

10. Getting Started

11. Getting Started Question

12. Getting started with CLA-Com