Anybody know of good compression / zip library
Author Message
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:
>I need the ability to compress and de-compress files a.k.a pkzip from
>within Smalltalk image. Does anybody know of a good library or
>archive?  I would like VisualWorks but any flavour might be a good
>starting point. No GUI needed. Although zip compatibility would be
>nice, any decent compression format would do also. I hear JAVA has
>built-in support, but I'd rather not have to put on {*filter*} gloves.

>Thanks Denis

There is a freeware library/DLL called zLib.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

You can use whatever means your environment uses to call it.  It supports
full zip compatability.

I have some quick and dirty implementations for VSE.  I've heard others have
done it for VW.  We don't have a standard interface as of yet.  :-/  Maybe
once we standardize the calling interface in Smalltalk that will be easier
to make a generic interface available.

Ian

                  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

I need the ability to compress and de-compress files a.k.a pkzip from
within Smalltalk image. Does anybody know of a good library or
archive?  I would like VisualWorks but any flavour might be a good
starting point. No GUI needed. Although zip compatibility would be
nice, any decent compression format would do also. I hear JAVA has
built-in support, but I'd rather not have to put on {*filter*} gloves.

Thanks Denis

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:

> >I need the ability to compress and de-compress files a.k.a pkzip from
> >within Smalltalk image. Does anybody know of a good library or
> >archive?

> There is a freeware library/DLL called zLib.

> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

Be sure to check out the Info-ZIP project, located at
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/

Richard Sargent
5x5 Computing Solutions, Inc.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

I am planning on using DLL/CC to use this library in VW.  Has anyone already
done this?

Quote:
>> There is a freeware library/DLL called zLib.

>> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

>Be sure to check out the Info-ZIP project, located at
>http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:

>I am planning on using DLL/CC to use this library in VW.  Has anyone
already
>done this?

>>> There is a freeware library/DLL called zLib.

>>> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

I have done this (works great, too) but unfortuantely am not at liberty to
release the code at this time (although it may become available in the near
future).  However, if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Arbor Intelligent Systems -- http://www.aisys.com
  "I have not heard of poultry that hadn't wings.  Wings is the SIGN of
     poultry; it is what you tell poultry by.  Look at the mosquito."

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:

> I am planning on using DLL/CC to use this library in VW.  Has anyone already
> done this?

I've got a very rough interface which you can probably use as a basis.
Look at: http://www.heeg.de/~hmm/ftp-goodies/ for the file.

Hans-Martin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Has anyone done this for VSE?

advTHANKSance
- Thomas

: > I am planning on using DLL/CC to use this library in VW.  Has anyone already
: > done this?
: >
: I've got a very rough interface which you can probably use as a basis.
: Look at: http://www.heeg.de/~hmm/ftp-goodies/ for the file.

: Hans-Martin

Scientific Software Development  -  Internet: http://www.atlasti.de

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:

>Has anyone done this for VSE?

>advTHANKSance
>- Thomas

Yes.  I added methods to String #compress, #uncompress, #adler32, and
#crc32, a very basic and crude implementation.

Ian

                  http://www.peacesummit.com/ian/home.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Anybody know of good compression / zip library

Quote:
>Has anyone done this for VSE?

We have been using DynaZip (from http://www.innermedia.com/) for severel
years, and are very happy. The interface is *realy* simple (2 api call's).

--
Regards

Henrik H. Jensen, System Manager, R&D Department
CDM Gruppen A/S, Strandvejen 781, 2930 Klampenborg, Denmark

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Does anybody knows who made SilverClip library..

2. Does anybody know a good GTK-Binding?

3. does anybody knows about good resources for learning vhdl

4. Zip compression on 68k Macs!

5. Zip Compression for VisualWorks Smalltalk

6. zip compression extension?

7. REQ: P3007.ZIP P3007X.ZIP F3007.ZIP PATCH.EXE Clarion for DOS update patches

8. PL/PC - Anybody know about the current status

9. Does anybody know 'Enfin'?

10. Does anybody know about PrinterDialog?

11. AppMan Pro 2 Anybody know about it

12. Anybody Know RealWorld Date format?