Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects
Author Message
 Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects

To all concerned,

As a business and IT student from Holland,
I am making my final paper on the subject:
" How to estimate the effort and cost of O.O. projects"   (e.g. Smalltalk as
O.O. language)

I have a few questions to all readers of this newsgroup.

- Who of the readers use O.O. metrics as an
estimation tool to estimate size, effort or cost
of O.O. applications?

- And if u don't use O.O. metrics for this
purpose, how do u estimate O.O. project?
  FPA, LOC or something else

Cheers!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects

Quote:

> To all concerned,

> As a business and IT student from Holland,
> I am making my final paper on the subject:
> " How to estimate the effort and cost of O.O. projects"   (e.g. SmallTalk as
> O.O. language)

> I have a few questions to all readers of this newsgroup.

> - Who of the readers use O.O. metrics as an
> estimation tool to estimate size, effort or cost
> of O.O. applications?

> - And if u don't use O.O. metrics for this
> purpose, how do u estimate O.O. project?
>   FPA, LOC or something else

SOP and WAG

"Seat Of Pants" and "Wild Assed Guesses" seem to be what too many companies use.

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology

Member, Fraven Skreiggs Software Collective
 - C for Sinking
 - Java for Drinking
 - Smalltalk for Thinking

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use of O.O. metrics to estimate the effert and cost of O.O. projects

Quote:

>To all concerned,

>As a business and IT student from Holland,
>I am making my final paper on the subject:
>" How to estimate the effort and cost of O.O. projects"   (e.g. SmallTalk as
>O.O. language)

I would suggest you to read two of Mark Lorenz books:

'Object Oriented Metrics' and 'Rapid Development of Object Oriented
Systems'.

These books cover some of the metrics and project estimation efforts
and in particular, largely based on Smalltalk projects.  The author is
very experience and knowlegable on real commercial projects, unlike
other authors who are too theoretical, in my opinion.

Quote:

>I have a few questions to all readers of this newsgroup.

>- Who of the readers use O.O. metrics as an
>estimation tool to estimate size, effort or cost
>of O.O. applications?

>- And if u don't use O.O. metrics for this
>purpose, how do u estimate O.O. project?
>  FPA, LOC or something else

I don't use estimation tool.  And I haven't met anyone whom I consider
good project planners use one.  Of course mileage differ.

Good project estimation that I have seen done is like an art - it is
not something that can easily be documented or desribtable.  It needs
a lot of past experience, a fairly good understanding of the business,
and the resources that are available.  Once you have experiences on
similar projects that you have done before, you should have a 'sense'
of what it takes to finish the same kind of projects.

Estimates or project scopings that uses a 'scientific' (or in a lesser
term heuristic)  estimation that are based on FP., LOC, ACS, LPC etc
fail more than often, as far as my experience tell.  And normally,
these are the techniques that are use by consulting firm to prepare
inches thick proposal.  And of course, once you have some numbers, you
can 'manipulate' it using simple arithmetic to make the project
development time shorter (e.g. throw in more head counts).  This is a
common trick that I have seen consulting firm often use to land
contract by making the overall picture looks better.  Obviously,
everyone must have experience one way or the other how this eventually
turns out.

--
Mark Wai
Wator Innovision

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Any sites using OO (particularly OO COBOL) development on the mainframe

2. Any sites using OO (particularly OO) development on the mainframe

3. Estimating OO Development Efforts

4. Estimating OO Development Efforts

5. Cost Estimating Using Function Points

6. Advice of cost of distributed architecture and OO database

7. OO Metrics Bibliography - Update

8. OO-Metrics

9. OO Metrics list: April update

10. OO Metrics: People and Publications