Mac OS X 10.1 support arrived: thanks to the folks of Heeg!
Author Message
 Mac OS X 10.1 support arrived: thanks to the folks of Heeg!

I just installed it on my iMac. It beeing VW5i.4nc for Mac OS X 10.1 ...
Now I can/will start to explore vw5i! But before: cudos to the folks of
Georg Heeg Gmbh which made that possible - looking forward to the
"final" version ;-)

For other Mac and Smalltalk enthusiasts:
you can get it (VM for Mac OS X 10.1) here:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ :8080/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VisualWorks+f...

Thanks to Cincom folks, too ...!

Albert

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:09:51 GMT
 Mac OS X 10.1 support arrived: thanks to the folks of Heeg!

Quote:

> I just installed it on my iMac. It beeing VW5i.4nc for Mac OS X 10.1 ...
> Now I can/will start to explore vw5i! But before: cudos to the folks of
> Georg Heeg Gmbh which made that possible - looking forward to the
> "final" version ;-)

> For other Mac and Smalltalk enthusiasts:
> you can get it (VM for Mac OS X 10.1) here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com:8080/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VisualWorks+f...

> Thanks to Cincom folks, too ...!

> Albert

I, too, look forward to the release that installs right off the bat for
OSX.

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:17:59 GMT
 Mac OS X 10.1 support arrived: thanks to the folks of Heeg!
I only can agree to what my colleague has said in his posting...

Some more (benchmarking) information related to the Mac port:

Benchmark: Advance Tools, all tests.
Environment: Powerbook G3 500MHz (Pismo), 640MByte RAM

VW 5i.4/MacOS 9 (nondebug vm): 7040 7460 7230
VW 5i.4/MacOS 9 (vm): 780 1370 1120
VW 5i.4/MacOS X (10.1) (beta vm): 2380 2470 2440

 From the figures above it can be seen, that the MacOS X version is
still quite slow compared to the MacOS 9 version. However I do think,
that the figures are still very promising:
- at first Cincom has to focus on making the vm work (efficiency comes
after effectiveness)
- at second I guess that the figures should be compared to the debug
version of the MacOS 9 vm.

I guess there is a lot of potential for VW for the MacOS X platform.

Another observation with MacOS X is, that VW seems to have problems with
  dispay updates (especially when moving around with the cursor and
selecting pulldown menus)

--
Daniel

Quote:

> I just installed it on my iMac. It beeing VW5i.4nc for Mac OS X 10.1 ...
> Now I can/will start to explore vw5i! But before: cudos to the folks of
> Georg Heeg Gmbh which made that possible - looking forward to the
> "final" version ;-)

> For other Mac and Smalltalk enthusiasts:
> you can get it (VM for Mac OS X 10.1) here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com:8080/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VisualWorks+f...

> Thanks to Cincom folks, too ...!

> Albert

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:20:32 GMT

1. VW 5i.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

2. Ruby for Mac OS 10.1

3. running Python remotely w/ Mac OS X 10.1

4. Compiling 2.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.1 - test failures

5. Shared Libs under OS 10.1

6. Sprite Surface and OS 10.1

7. Delay() Toolbox Call doesn't work on OS X 10.1

8. RB 3.51 is slow in OS X 10.1

9. Keyboard object under OS 10.1

10. RB 3.51 and OS X 10.1

11. Readline support on Mac OS X Jaguar?

12. Building Ruby on MacOS 10.1