Strong encryption in the UK
Author Message
 Strong encryption in the UK

Hi all,

I recently had visitors from Brazil.
While discussing several internet security issues, one of them told
me, that there should be a (new?) law in the UK, which threatens everyone
with up to two years of prison, who uses strong encryption (PGP etc.),
without submitting  a copy of his private key to the official authorities.

While I hope, that this is not true, I'm very insecure, because I think,
that there is currently a political tendency, to lose completely control.

Any clarifications from you British fellows here, are highly
appreciated.

Thanks
Ingo

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:04:21 GMT
 Strong encryption in the UK
Ingo,

Quote:
> Any clarifications from you British fellows here, are highly
> appreciated.

Sorry, we can't because it's against the law to talk about it in public.

Just joking you understand!!.

The act itself (only for reference really, it's not bedtime reading!) is at
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/20000023.htm

A web search looking for "RIP and act" will find a fair number of hits, none
of them seem particularly comprehensive but they might give you a bit more
information.

Re: the specific bit you mentioned. I think (and I haven't been closely
following the twists and turns of legislation that seems to have changed a
number of times) that the authorities can demand an encryption key, with the
penalties you quoted, *only as part of a criminal investigation*.  If they
have no suspicion that you are using encryption for nefarious (I've always
wanted to use that word <g>) purposes then they won't ask you for any keys.

Regards
    AgentX

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:10:13 GMT

1. Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)

2. Digitally signed documents/Strong Encryption: Python modules ??

3. [UK] Permanent UK Smalltalk/GemStone Positions

4. [UK] Permanent UK Smalltalk/GemStone Positions

5. ANN: FIG UK web site moves to http://www.fig-uk.org

6. [UK] Permanent Smalltalk UK positions

7. Questions for strong C, HLASM programmers

8. strong mobility in opentalk

9. Strong static typing does not work

10. who will you change the old strong pitchers before Varla does

11. all strong disks outside the weak hallway were climbing beneath the hollow square

12. USA-MN Strong Smalltalk and FORTE Needs