Profiling/tuning ST80 R4.1 code
Author Message
 Profiling/tuning ST80 R4.1 code

What is the best (non-commerical, no $) approach to profiling/tuning
ST80 (R4.1) code?  Are there any freeware goodies out there to help
automate this process? I'm most interested in identifying the most
flagrant bottlenecks.

Thanks for any help,
--

Tue, 06 Feb 1996 01:29:07 GMT
 Profiling/tuning ST80 R4.1 code

Quote:
>What is the best (non-commerical, no $) approach to profiling/tuning
>ST80 (R4.1) code?  Are there any freeware goodies out there to help
>automate this process? I'm most interested in identifying the most
>flagrant bottlenecks.

This might not be the best approach, but it is a good approach.

Back in Smalltalk-80 V2.5 there was a profiler in the image.
I can't imagine developing Smalltalk programs without it.
ParcPlace took it out of 4.0, but the old version still works.
I moved it to 4.1, and it still works.

Meanwhile, ParcPlace put the profiler in their "Advanced Object Kit",
and kept on improving it.  When the U. of I. got the site license for
ObjectWorks, it turns out that we also got the Advanced ObjectKit.
The new profiler is definitely better than the old one, so I've
switched.  If I didn't know better, I would have been happy with
the old one, but we get spoiled so easily.

A profiler is every bit as important as a browser.  If you don't
have it, get it.  Since you are at a school, check into whether
the AOK is available.  It might be and nobody knows it.  If you
have it, look at MessageTally in older versions of Smalltalk-80.

-Ralph Johnson

Wed, 07 Feb 1996 06:23:31 GMT

1. flexible windows in st80-R4.1 (ParkPlace)

2. Fortran tuning co-guide - profiling

3. Implementing questionaires in ST80 r4.1

4. Representing Floating Numbers as Strings in ST80 R4.0

5. Tiny goodie for ST80 R4

6. ST80/R4.0 on Windows 3.1

7. ST80-R4 User Primitive Questions

8. HELP : Graphics in ST80 r4 Windows !!

9. interface builders for pp st80 r4 ?

10. ST80-R4 and OS/2

11. ST80 R4, Motif and RS/6000

12. ST80 R4, WIN 3.0 and TCP/IP