(Runtime) Vanishing Problem
Author Message
 (Runtime) Vanishing Problem

: We are having a vanishing problem with the runtime
: version of our Visual Age application. The app comes
: up and we open another screen via a menu. The screen
: is displayed and a few queries are done, and then
: BOOM, the whole VA app is gone without leaving a
: walkback or any clue whatsover as to why or where the
: problem lives.

: Has anyone out there in VA land witnessed such a
: problem?

: +aShiM+

We have seen the same thing but only when really stressing an app.  I had
suspected our problem was a multi-thread problem.  Are you doing any of that?

Todd Meadows
Sr Programmer - Architecture
H.B. Fuller Company

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Runtime) Vanishing Problem

Quote:

>We are having a vanishing problem with the runtime
>version of our Visual Age application. The app comes
>up and we open another screen via a menu. The screen
>is displayed and a few queries are done, and then
>BOOM, the whole VA app is gone without leaving a
>walkback or any clue whatsover as to why or where the
>problem lives.

I have seen the problem when I created a class with nil as its super
(nil subclass: #PxProxy). If I did anything with instances, it blew
Smalltalk off the air immediately with no warning.  I needed to do
some work with the poolDictionaries and #doesNotUnderstand:. If you've
been fooling around with this kind of code, that might be the problem.

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Runtime) Vanishing Problem

This is an indication of the VM abending.

If you are using odbc try loading all threads/odbc patches from
http://www.software.ibm.com/software/ad/visfixes.html.

I traced VM abends to a method in AbtThreadsApp for deleting a thread.
This method was being called by odbc when disconnecting a connection.

The VM abended when I had multiple connections and wanted to terminate one.

The funny thing is that when I put a call to the transcript in that method,
the VM
did not abend. I assume writing to the transcript performed some low-level
synchronization
that averted the problem.

Also, the abend happened on NT4.0 and not on Win95. Because version 3.0a is
not
officially supported on NT4.0, we are hoping that the new version will
resolve this problem.

Regards,

Faisal

Quote:

> : We are having a vanishing problem with the runtime
> : version of our Visual Age application. The app comes
> : up and we open another screen via a menu. The screen
> : is displayed and a few queries are done, and then
> : BOOM, the whole VA app is gone without leaving a
> : walkback or any clue whatsover as to why or where the
> : problem lives.

> : Has anyone out there in VA land witnessed such a
> : problem?

> : +aShiM+

> We have seen the same thing but only when really stressing an app.  I had
> suspected our problem was a multi-thread problem.  Are you doing any of
that?

> Todd Meadows
> Sr Programmer - Architecture
> H.B. Fuller Company

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Runtime) Vanishing Problem

We had the meltdown problem in our shop, and IBM said that there was a
problem with the garbage collection trying to clean up objects that were
no longer there.  This happens when you save the image when a database
connection is still up. If you are doing a database connection, you can
see if it's up from the Organizer (Options, Database Connections). At
first, your development environment will not show any problems, but each
time you restart VisualAge, the meltdown will happen sooner and sooner,
until it dies at the first garbage collection cycle.

This problem will be exported into your runtime, which will melt down as
well.

The fix for us was to change, in AbtIbmSqlda,
allocateMemoryForRow:copyData:

comment out both places where you see abtAddToBeFinalized

and in AbtRecordStructureBaseApp, in OSObject, within the category
AbtRec-API, the method
abtMoveToOSMemory

comment out abtAddToBeFinalized.

Of course, if you're already getting the meltdown, then your development
image is already corrupted.  Before making these changes, get a fresh
image.

Under OS2, this meltdown shows as a SYS3175, but under Windows NT or
Windows 95, it just disappears.
--
The condition upon which God hath given liberty
to man is eternal vigilance;

John Philpot Curran (1750-1817)
Irish lawyer, politician.
"The Right of Election of the Lord Mayor of Dublin,"
speech, 10 July 1790, Dublin.

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Runtime) Vanishing Problem

Quote:

> We had the meltdown problem in our shop, and IBM said that there was a
> problem with the garbage collection trying to clean up objects that were
> no longer there.  This happens when you save the image when a database
> connection is still up. If you are doing a database connection, you can
> see if it's up from the Organizer (Options, Database Connections). At
> first, your development environment will not show any problems, but each
> time you restart VisualAge, the meltdown will happen sooner and sooner,
> until it dies at the first garbage collection cycle.

Technically, this particular problem is caused by intricacies involving
using OSObjects and finalization.  I believe all the latest fixes
from IBM for database remove the finalization logic.  If you're using
database stuff in VA, and have never applied fixes, now's the time ...

You can get to the FTP site with fixes by exploring the VisualAge
URL in my sig below ...

--

           VisualAge: <http://www.software.ibm.com/software/ad/visage/>
                                           Java: Bean there, done that.

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vanishing problem in Win98

2. CW2.0 Vanishing variable string PROBLEM

3. Problem with smtplib: message vanishes

4. Runtime object type determination/ runtime generic instantiation

5. vanishing cursor

6. Vanishing data

7. Windows NT/vanishing keyboard input

8. C4 Legacy Report templates - Forms Vanish

9. Forms that vanish in the night ...

10. Vanishing Update Buttons

11. After Conwerting some Data vanish

12. Vanishing icon