A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors
Author Message
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors

Does anyone out there know of a commercial or public domain package for
creating customisable graph editors, where a graph consists of nodes and arcs
between those nodes.

Cheers,

Marc Nijdam

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors
: Does anyone out there know of a commercial or public domain package for
: creating customisable graph editors, where a graph consists of nodes and arcs
: between those nodes.

HotDraw for VisualWorks is available on the Smalltalk archive,
st.cs.uiuc.edu. (There may be older versions there as well.)

If you are using Digitalk's Smalltalk 3.0 then I should have something
available this summer. I'll put it on the archive and announce it here,
etc. It's a background task, but getting closer to completion lately.

It will not be compatible with HotDraw, but somewhat similar.

I have heard of other Smalltalk graph editors, but have never seen
them available anywhere.

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors

Quote:

>Does anyone out there know of a commercial or public domain package for
>creating customisable graph editors, where a graph consists of nodes and arcs
>between those nodes.

 For Smalltalk/V or Visual Smalltalk: GraphicsObject/Professional from
BOK (?).

 Marten

--

             "Deutsche stellen eher die Nahrungsaufnahme ein,
         als sich beim Urlaub oder Auto einzuschraenken" -- KN, 31.01.95

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors
I noticed someone has placed a port of HotDraw for ST/V-32 on
the Smalltalk archive (st.cs.uiuc.edu). Look in the STV tree.

Don't know anything more than that.

Mon, 13 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors
There is a c++ microsoft Visual C++ diagram node/edge package.  It is
called drag-it from:

Performix
6618 Daryn Drive
Westhills, CA 91307
1-800-3-drag-it (1800 337 2448)

It comes with all c++ source.

In my case I need more of a schematic editing where the nodes aren't
always connected.  That is you may have a line comming out of a logic
gate with a name attached to the line but not a direct connection to
anouther gate.   But for what you are asking about Performix sounds
ideal (except you have to put up with msoft vc++).

For smalltalk I am currently working with Bok Technologies
GraphicObjects/V Pro.  Available from:

        Voice: 1-415-854-5535 or (USA only) 1-800-ST-SOFTWARE
        FAX:   1-415-854-2557
        BBS:   1-415-854-5581 or telnet: bbs.smalltalk.com
   GraphicsObjects/V Pro supports 2D graphics with objects like
brushes, pens, lines, arcs, chords, Bezier curves, polylines,
polygons, ellipses, boxes, rounded boxes and text objects (labels
and multi-font text). It has 2-D geometric transformations like
rotate, scale, shear, translate.  There are advanced graphics
panes that take care of scrolling, zooming, repainting, etc.  All
GO/V items can be mouse-sensitive. Available in full source or
SLL (includes some source) editions.

I just recieved GOPRO a couple days ago.  So far I am very pleased and
think I can customize it to do my schematic editing.

There is also the publicly available hotdraw package.  Try archie
hotdraw (archie is broken here right now).  Hotdraw info:

HotDraw/V
^^^^^^^^^
Dorin Sandu

Center for Object Oriented Programming
Carleton University, Canada

HotDraw/V is a port of the HotDraw framework, currently implemented
for Smalltalk ObjectWorks, to Smalltalk/V. HotDraw/V runs in both
16 and 32 bit versions of Smalltalk/V for Windows.

* Implementation issues
HotDraw/V follows the implementation of HotDraw for ObjectWorks to
a certain degree. The windowing interface is completely different
though, in the sense that the MVC concept doesn't exist in Smalltalk/V
and I had to work around that. A SubPane class has been created, called
HotDrawPane, with two subclasses, DrawingPane and ToolPalettePane, to
implement the functionality of the drawing and tool palette interfaces.
Also text objects are quite simple, only typing and backspaces are allowed,
no selection or paragraph type text yet.

* Using HotDraw
A good paper about using HotDraw is "Documenting Frameworks using
Patterns" by Ralph E. Johnson (OOPSLA '92).

Aaron Wohl / ham callsign N3LIW / 412-731-3691 / 412-268-5032

Wed, 15 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 A general framework for ball and stick / graph editors
Quote:

> Does anyone out there know of a commercial or public domain package for
> creating customisable graph editors, where a graph consists of nodes and arcs
> between those nodes.

> Cheers,

> Marc Nijdam

You might want to take a look at:
  Applied Reasoning System Corporation
  919-781-7997

They have a product called Dynamic Diagram Framework which seems to fit your
description.

John Keenan | Setpoint Inc          | voice 713-584-1818

Fri, 17 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32Forth and WinView Editor windows are stuck together.

2. VO: In icon editor my mouse is stuck

3. VW 2.5 - frameworks for graphs

4. HotDraw or diagram editors framework

5. From Hickory Sticks to Joy Sticks

6. Looking for general graph library...

7. General Debug and Hex editor help! Please

8. Q: advice on graph editors for VW 7

9. Graph editor in Smalltalk

10. A graph editor in Ada

11. searching an Image Editor with Filter Graph capabilities

12. Any graph editors?