using F10 function key on Win NT with VW
Author Message
 using F10 function key on Win NT with VW

--------------A4E981B84EEB99818467D75C

I have an application that uses function keys as shortcuts for all
my action buttons. Things were cool till we converted from our
Mac environment over to NT. Now all the funtion key shortcuts
work EXCEPT F10.

When I press the F10 button the cursor shape changes to the
default Windows NT shape but the action does not appear to
happen (a linked data form should open). However, once I press
the left mouse button, the action occurs (the window opens).
Further, if after pressing F10, I hit the enter key, the window manager
menu pops open in the left upper hand part of the window. It's almost
like NT catches the F10 and doesn't release it to VW until I hit
the mouse button.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting around this problem?

Thanks very much,

Mike Castillo
U S WEST Advanced Technologies

--------------A4E981B84EEB99818467D75C

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mike  Castillo
n:              Castillo;Mike
org:            U S WEST Advanced Technologies

title:          MTS
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------A4E981B84EEB99818467D75C--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 using F10 function key on Win NT with VW

Quote:

> [...]
> When I press the F10 button the cursor shape changes to the
> default Windows NT shape but the action does not appear to
> happen (a linked data form should open). However, once I press
> the left mouse button, the action occurs (the window opens).
> Further, if after pressing F10, I hit the enter key, the window manager
> menu pops open in the left upper hand part of the window. It's almost
> like NT catches the F10 and doesn't release it to VW until I hit
> the mouse button.

This is exactly what happens: F10 is reserved by Windows to open a
menu.  In applications with menu bars (provided by Windows, not
simulated like in VisualWorks) pressing it activates the menu bar.

Quote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for getting around this problem?

A Win32 (read C or C++) application can suppress this by not passing
WM_KEYUP message for F10 key to the DefWindowProc.  In VisualWorks,
this is beyond your control.  ParcPlace could fix the message loop in
the VM though.

--Vassili

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. F10 Key disabling the other keys

2. Need a key sequence for keys F8, SHIFT-F10, and F12 sending through Expect

3. F10 key in MicroFocus Dialog

4. mf cobol/animate/alt-f10 key on a hp/unix

5. Clipper 5.2 and Win NT (input key)

6. DIRECTORY function won't work under NT Server 4.0

7. Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4

8. GetEnv function under ObjectRexx for Win NT

9. Win/NT port of tk missing functions

10. Bug using keyboard (functionkey f10)?

11. I/O access using Win NT

12. HELP using Function Keys