Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
Author Message
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk

Great...more anonymous FUD from a clueless troll.

Quote:
>Believe it or, this has been IBM's policy and will  continue to be.

Bullsh*t. That has never been IBM's policy.

Quote:
>All of major VisualAge Smalltalk users are asked to conert to VisualAge

Java.

Bullsh*t. IBM has over 40,000 VAST users in over 2,000 organizations. I have
not heard of a single case where IBM has asked a customer to switch from
VAST to VAJ.

Quote:
>IBM is not interested in VisualAge Smalltalk  product.

Bullsh*t. IBM seems quite interested in it. Version 5.0 is due out soon.
They are creating lots of cool new add-ons for it (like the Ultra Lite
Client). They had a very strong showing at this year's Smalltalk Solutions
show (at which they made numerous string statements in support of
Smalltalk). Etc.

Quote:
>Has always treated it like a step  child . I will  not be
>surprised if we don't see  any  Smalltalk  contracts paying  even
>$ 75/hr  on this  group  in  one  year.  Already  it  takes 2-3 months
>to find  next Smalltalk  assignment , even if  you  are  willing to
>relocate .

Speaking from experience, eh? If you weren't such a clueless troll, maybe
you might have more luck.

Quote:
> I may not  get a  good hourly  rate

What? We should be surprised?!?

Quote:
>VisualAge Java certainly  offers  stability.

Yeah, right...

-Eric

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
From the quality of your posting you'd be lucky to get 75 cents/hour.
Quote:

> I may not  get a  good hourly  rate, but VisualAge
> Java certainly  offers  stability.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk

Quote:
>Believe it or, this has been IBM's policy and will  continue to be.
>All of major VisualAge Smalltalk users are asked to conert to VisualAge Java.
>IBM is not interested in VisualAge Smalltalk  product.
>Has always treated it like a step  child . I will  not be
>surprised if we don't see  any  Smalltalk  contracts paying  even
>$ 75/hr  on this  group  in  one  year.  Already  it  takes 2-3 months
>to find  next Smalltalk  assignment , even if  you  are  willing to
>relocate . I may not  get a  good hourly  rate, but VisualAge
>Java certainly  offers  stability.

This is obviously a troll. Still, I wonder why IBM doesn't make an entry
version of VAST available.. they do have one for VAJ.

Greetz,

RS

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
I second what Eric said on all counts. We have seen no evidence that IBM is
pushing our VisualAge Smalltalk customers to convert to VisualAge Java.

Quote:

> Great...more anonymous FUD from a clueless troll.

> >Believe it or, this has been IBM's policy and will  continue to be.

> Bullsh*t. That has never been IBM's policy.

> >All of major VisualAge Smalltalk users are asked to conert to VisualAge
> Java.

> Bullsh*t. IBM has over 40,000 VAST users in over 2,000 organizations. I have
> not heard of a single case where IBM has asked a customer to switch from
> VAST to VAJ.

> >IBM is not interested in VisualAge Smalltalk  product.

> Bullsh*t. IBM seems quite interested in it. Version 5.0 is due out soon.
> They are creating lots of cool new add-ons for it (like the Ultra Lite
> Client). They had a very strong showing at this year's Smalltalk Solutions
> show (at which they made numerous string statements in support of
> Smalltalk). Etc.

> >Has always treated it like a step  child . I will  not be
> >surprised if we don't see  any  Smalltalk  contracts paying  even
> >$ 75/hr  on this  group  in  one  year.  Already  it  takes 2-3 months
> >to find  next Smalltalk  assignment , even if  you  are  willing to
> >relocate .

> Speaking from experience, eh? If you weren't such a clueless troll, maybe
> you might have more luck.

> > I may not  get a  good hourly  rate

> What? We should be surprised?!?

> >VisualAge Java certainly  offers  stability.

> Yeah, right...

> -Eric

Mike Silverstein, Lead Architect    voice: (919) 858-8300 x29
SilverMark, Inc.                          fax: (919) 858-8308

Raleigh, NC                         http://www.silvermark.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk

Quote:

> Believe it or, this has been IBM's policy and will  continue to be.
> All of major VisualAge Smalltalk users are asked to conert to VisualAge Java.
> IBM is not interested in VisualAge Smalltalk  product.
> Has always treated it like a step  child . I will  not be
> surprised if we don't see  any  Smalltalk  contracts paying  even
> $ 75/hr  on this  group  in  one  year.  Already  it  takes 2-3 months
> to find  next Smalltalk  assignment , even if  you  are  willing to
> relocate . I may not  get a  good hourly  rate, but VisualAge
> Java certainly  offers  stability.

Actually, we are looking very hard for several quality Smalltalkers (and also
some Java'ers) right now.  I think you'll be very pleased with the rates too.

FWIW,
David
--
***************************************
David Whiteman

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
I agree with Michael on this. We are an IBM customer and have not been pushed
into using VA Java.

We (an agency in the State of Illinois) are still using Smalltalk, although we
do have doubts about IBM's ability to write good Smalltalk code (some of their
stuff, like OCX feature, are of substandard quality and can be a real pain in
the
butt). I'll always wonder why that VA Java's GUI development environment is
nicer
looking than VA ST development environment?

We are working on a new computer-based employment testing system which will be
deployed in at least 5 locations in the state. Basically, it'll, for the most
part, replace paper-based employment testing.

Using VisualAge ST 4.02b, the application will play mpeg videos, connect to
DB2 UDB, includes a typing test & dictation test section (I'm still working
on this difficult piece), integrate with Crystal Report writer to generate
reports, Telephony system (it works!), and some other stuff.

Eventually, the application will be enhanced to include technology for ADA
(such as closed captioning, ability to change font sizes and other special
devices). These are done to accomodate the ADA requirements (Americans with
Disability Act).

Also, a couple of years ago, an application written for the Governor's office
was developed and is still in use today. The Governor actually sees at least
one report generated by that application. (yes, just another marketing plug
but,
hey, can it hurt?)

And, finally, we have just received automated Testing tool from Compuware. So
we have
two testing tools available to us now: QA suite from Compuware and Smalltalk
testing
framework from Kent Beck. Those two tools complement each other. QA suite
works
surprising well for Smalltalk. And, very surprisingly, doesn't work as smooth
in MS Access97!

We're pretty much doing neat and challenging things with Smalltalk, although
IBM's muddy thinking hurts us from time to time. One thing is for certain:
Smalltalk is alive and well in at least two Illinois goverment agencies!!!

Quote:

--
Larry Trutter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk

Quote:

> And, finally, we have just received automated Testing tool from Compuware. So
> we have
> two testing tools available to us now: QA suite from Compuware and Smalltalk
> testing
> framework from Kent Beck. Those two tools complement each other. QA suite
> works
> surprising well for Smalltalk. And, very surprisingly, doesn't work as smooth
> in MS Access97!

Have you looked at the Silvermark testing tool?  From what I hear, it's the one to
beat....

David
--
***************************************
David Whiteman
whiteman AT AppliedReasoning DOT com
ICQ# 12178974
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3261
***************************************

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
Yes, but unfortunately, we are not allowed to be greedy and we don't have
unlimited budget. There are programmers in our ever growing group having to
support codes developed in other languages beside Smalltalk. So, the testing
software
has to accomodate any development languages.

Quote:

> > And, finally, we have just received automated Testing tool from Compuware. So
> > we have
> > two testing tools available to us now: QA suite from Compuware and Smalltalk
> > testing
> > framework from Kent Beck. Those two tools complement each other. QA suite
> > works
> > surprising well for Smalltalk. And, very surprisingly, doesn't work as smooth
> > in MS Access97!

> Have you looked at the Silvermark testing tool?  From what I hear, it's the one to
> beat....

> David
> --
> ***************************************
> David Whiteman
> <not necessarily the opinion of> Applied Reasoning
> whiteman AT AppliedReasoning DOT com
> ICQ# 12178974
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3261

Larry Trutter

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Use VisualAge java not VisualAge Smalltalk
If you join IBM BestTeams program they will readily give you VAST with all
the necessary keys.

Charles
OCIT

Quote:

>>Believe it or, this has been IBM's policy and will  continue to be.
>>All of major VisualAge Smalltalk users are asked to conert to VisualAge
Java.
>>IBM is not interested in VisualAge Smalltalk  product.
>>Has always treated it like a step  child . I will  not be
>>surprised if we don't see  any  Smalltalk  contracts paying  even
>>$ 75/hr  on this  group  in  one  year.  Already  it  takes 2-3 months
>>to find  next Smalltalk  assignment , even if  you  are  willing to
>>relocate . I may not  get a  good hourly  rate, but VisualAge
>>Java certainly  offers  stability.

>This is obviously a troll. Still, I wonder why IBM doesn't make an entry
>version of VAST available.. they do have one for VAJ.

>Greetz,

>RS

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for IBM VisualAge Java/IBM VisualAge Smalltalk teachers

2. VisualAge SmallTalk & VisualAge Java JOB OPPORTUNITIES @ IBS

3. VisualAge users VisualAge users VisualAge users.

4. VisualAge - Problems using Automated Testing Tool with VisualAge

5. "Smalltalk-VisualAge-VW-Java - DC, CO"

6. Architect/Developer, VisualAge Smalltalk/Java

7. VA - Integrating VisualAge for Smalltalk and Java

8. "Smalltalk-VisualAge-VW-Java, Co"

9. "Smalltalk-VisualAge-VW-Java, Co"

10. "Smalltalk-VisualAge-VW-Java, CO"

11. TORONTO-SMALLTALK VISUALAGE/JAVA P/A-Full Time Position

12. SMALLTALK VISUALAGE/JAVA P/A-Full Time Position