32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB 
Author Message
 32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB

VSE 3.1

I have a 32-bit Smalltalk application which needs to communicate with
a 16-bit Visual Basic application.  After invoking hte VB App, I want
to be signaled when the user exits that VB App.  One way of
accomplishing this is to pass a Window Handle and Message ID to the VB
App on invocation.  The VB App could then send my application (via the
Window Handle) the message that it is exiting (via the Message ID).

However, the 16-bit VB application cannot handle the 32-bit Window
Handle and the 32-bit Message ID it is passed.

Short of rebuilding the VB App as a 32-bit appllication, is there any
way to resolve this problem?  Are there other ways to accomplish the
desired communication?  Note that the Smalltalk application needs to
take action based on the exit state of the VB App, as reflected in a
control file that it writes prior to exiting.

Thank you for any suggestions which you may have.

-Ed Baker



Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB

Quote:

>I have a 32-bit Smalltalk application which needs to communicate with
>a 16-bit Visual Basic application.  After invoking hte VB App, I want
>to be signaled when the user exits that VB App.  One way of
>accomplishing this is to pass a Window Handle and Message ID to the VB
>App on invocation.  The VB App could then send my application (via the
>Window Handle) the message that it is exiting (via the Message ID).

Why not just use DDE?  It is quite brain-dead--but should do what you
want without dealing with Win16/32 issues?

Another approach would be to write a 16-bit DLL that thunks into a
32-bit DLL.  The 32-bit DLL can then communicate with ST (e.g. by
posting a custom event to your event queue).

Joe



Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB

Quote:


>>I have a 32-bit Smalltalk application which needs to communicate with
>>a 16-bit Visual Basic application.
>>[etc.]
>Why not just use DDE?  It is quite brain-dead--but should do what you
>want without dealing with Win16/32 issues?

This is a good suggestion.  Unfortunately, the application must run on
a PC with only 8MB RAM.  To accomplish this we are loading and unloading
modules.  There's not enough memory for the ST app. and the VB app. to be
loaded at the same time.

However, they may be able to communcate through the loader kernal, using
DDE.

Quote:
>Another approach would be to write a 16-bit DLL that thunks into a
>32-bit DLL.  The 32-bit DLL can then communicate with ST (e.g. by
>posting a custom event to your event queue).

In what language would one write the 16-bit DLL?  (I know, any language
which supports it.)

-Ed



Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB

Quote:

>In what language would one write the 16-bit DLL?  (I know, any language
>which supports it.)

C.  There are samples of how to thunk between 16 and 32-bit apps that
come with MS Win32s (as well as the universal thunk library of
course).  Once you understand the basic concepts, building the DLLs is
quite easy.

If you have any further questions, just email me direct.

Joe



Thu, 26 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

2. Calling 32-bit FORTRAN dlls from 32-bit VB

3. 16, 16/32, 32 bit Forths: Pros/Cons?

4. 32-bit ST/V outruns 32-bit ST80 on Intel

5. How to use SE at any color resolution (256, 16-bit, 32-bit)

6. Can I use 16 bit DLL and 32-bit exe together

7. Changing from 16-bit to 32-bit makes zillion duplicate symbols

8. 16-bit to 32-bit woes

9. Should I use 16 bit or 32 bit??

10. Graphics Error 16-bit vs 32-bit

11. Printing 16 bit and 32 bit

12. 16 bit VS 32 bit

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software