WindowBuilder Changes
Author Message
 WindowBuilder Changes

Hi,

We recently upgraded to Visual ST/WindowBuilder/SubPanes from
ST V and older versions of the other two. Out of the 3 WB really
broke faith by not allowing smooth porting of old code. What's the
point of OOP if you have to spend lots of time moving working code
from one version to another.

Anyway, enough ranting. Is there a tool out there that would
automatically do it for you?

Thanks,

Steve

Fri, 04 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 WindowBuilder Changes
Steve,

Quote:
> We recently upgraded to Visual ST/WindowBuilder/SubPanes from
> ST V and older versions of the other two. Out of the 3 WB
> really broke faith by not allowing smooth porting of old code.
> What's the point of OOP if you have to spend lots of time
> moving working code from one version to another.

What the heck are you talking about? We went to great lengths to
make porting from older versions to the current version as easy
as possible. We even included automatic translation utilities
as well as tools to help you convert from the old event model
to the new event model. *Specifically*, what problem are you
having? What versions are you migrating from? to? Are you *sure*
that your problems are WBPro-related? Have you spoken to any of
our tech support reps? Since you are using a CompuServe address,
have you posted any messages on the PP-D forum to this effect. We
have now had several *thousand* customers smoothly migrate to
WBPro 3.1 (and now 3.1.1). If you wish to use a strong phrase
such as "broke faith", you had better be prepared to back it up!

-Eric
Objectshare

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 WindowBuilder Changes
Steve,

Quote:
> We recently upgraded to Visual ST/WindowBuilder/SubPanes from
> ST V and older versions of the other two. Out of the 3 WB
> really broke faith by not allowing smooth porting of old code.

Saying that WindowBuilder "broke faith" is a very serious charge
that we take very seriously and very personally.  Such a statement
should *not* be made lightly and whoever makes it should be
prepared to back it up.  The WB team (of which I am a part) goes
to great lengths to preserve a customer's investment in GUI code.
We provide backward compatibility reaching back *at least* 2 major
revision... *twice* as far as PPD.  We also built in a translator
to facilitate "batch" translation of multiple windows with a
single button click.  We then subclassed that translator to
provide a means to easily translate old PPD events to new PPD
events (something PPD should have provided but didn't... so we
did).  Have you called our tech support concerning your problems?
 Have you asked us to address your concerns before engaging your
flame thrower? In the future, think twice and ask questions before
making such a statement.

- Dan
Objectshare

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. WindowBuilder Pro Support from Internet

2. Fonts in WindowBuilder

3. PARTS Vs. WindowBuilder Opinions?

4. The View menu in WindowBuilder Pro

5. WindowBuilder 1.0.6 with Smalltalk Express

6. VAAssist and WindowBuilder

7. VSE WindowBuilder fix

8. WindowBuilder for ST/V Win16

9. WindowBuilder Redux

10. Model-View separation in WindowBuilder

11. WindowBuilder Pro vs. VisualAge or Parts