IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?
Author Message
 IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

Does anyone know how IBM's Universal Virtual Machine Runtime project is
going? Is there any chance that other languages than Java can be used to
develop applets? What steps has IBM taken do archive this goal, and how
has other organizations and companies reacted to IBM's idea? SUN is only
interested in crushing Microsoft's {*filter*} - not creating a new computer
language. Wouldn't all benefit from a universal virtual machine?

Did you notice that the file "ESVM40.DLL" in the folder "windows\install"
on the VisualAge 4.01 CD is described as "Universal Virtual Machine
Runtime"?

- Master degree student at Norwegian University of Science and Technology-
- Deptartment of Computer and Information Science                        -
- Smalltalk Overview: www.ifi.ntnu.no/smalltalk/                         -

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

Quote:

>IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

>Does anyone know how IBM's Universal Virtual Machine Runtime project is
>going? Is there any chance that other languages than Java can be used to
>develop applets? What steps has IBM taken do archive this goal, and how
>has other organizations and companies reacted to IBM's idea? SUN is only
>interested in crushing Microsoft's {*filter*} - not creating a new computer
>language. Wouldn't all benefit from a universal virtual machine?

I heard that IBM actually completed it years ago. The only trick now is
getting all the other vendors to standardize on 370 instruction set
bytecodes. :-)

Steve

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

Sure. Just get the VM/370 assemblers language programmers manual. It's
the machine language. Been backward compatible for decades.
-Alan Wostenberg
Aurum Software

Quote:

> Does anyone know where to get documentation on the "370 instruction set
> bytecodes"? I would like to compare them with other bytecode sets.

> Paul Baumann

> > >IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

> > >Does anyone know how IBM's Universal Virtual Machine Runtime project is
> > >going? Is there any chance that other languages than Java can be used to
> > >develop applets? What steps has IBM taken do archive this goal, and how
> > >has other organizations and companies reacted to IBM's idea? SUN is only
> > >interested in crushing Microsoft's {*filter*} - not creating a new computer
> > >language. Wouldn't all benefit from a universal virtual machine?

> > I heard that IBM actually completed it years ago. The only trick now is
> > getting all the other vendors to standardize on 370 instruction set
> > bytecodes. :-)

> > Steve

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

Does anyone know where to get documentation on the "370 instruction set
bytecodes"? I would like to compare them with other bytecode sets.

Paul Baumann

Quote:

> >IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

> >Does anyone know how IBM's Universal Virtual Machine Runtime project is
> >going? Is there any chance that other languages than Java can be used to
> >develop applets? What steps has IBM taken do archive this goal, and how
> >has other organizations and companies reacted to IBM's idea? SUN is only
> >interested in crushing Microsoft's {*filter*} - not creating a new computer
> >language. Wouldn't all benefit from a universal virtual machine?

> I heard that IBM actually completed it years ago. The only trick now is
> getting all the other vendors to standardize on 370 instruction set
> bytecodes. :-)

> Steve

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Universal Virtual Machine

2. Universal Virtual Machine

3. Universal Virtual Machine

4. Universal Virtual Machine

5. A "Universal Virtual Machine"

6. US-WA-Virtual Machine/IBM FOCUS Programmer/Dev

7. US-WA-Virtual Machine/IBM FOCUS Programmer/Dev

8. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)

9. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)

10. SIMPEL Virtual Machine (a toy machine and assembler)

11. Universal Machine - Fact Or Fiction

12. Universal Machine ?